twenty

Songs for the chapter:

Don't Let Me Go - Harry Styles

Thinkin Bout You - Frank Ocean

Wrecking Ball - Miley Cyrus

Cleo's POV:

From my perch on the arm of the couch, I can clearly hear the shrill ring of the doorbell, followed by my father's heavy footsteps coming from the kitchen. I quickly hop up, jogging toward the front door. "I got it!" I yell, cutting him off as my socks slide against the wood floor. He stops in his tracks as I throw the door open, revealing two smiling faces I haven't seen nearly enough of.

Without waiting for even a 'hello', Niall steps across the threshold and envelopes me in a tight hug, momentarily lifting me off the ground. Once my feet are planted beneath me once more, my blonde friend lets go. He takes one small step away, giving Zayn enough room to step in and collect his hug. Zayn's embrace is more formal, but still warm and inviting.

"Come in," I say excitedly, nudging the door closed and leading the boys into the kitchen. My dad is leaning against the island slightly, one hand fiddling with his recently packed brief case. He's studying our guests with curious eyes, the smallest of smiles settled on his lips.

"Hey, Dad, I hope it's okay; I invited them over to have a movie night with me since you're leaving for the weekend."

My dad nods his head, "Of course."

"I'm sure you remember Niall," to which he nods, "and this is Zayn."

"Hello, Niall. Nice to meet you, Zayn."

Niall pipes up, smile beaming, "It's good to see you, Adam. How's life treating you?"

"Not too bad. Yourself?"

Niall steals a quick glance in Zayn's direction, though my unobservant father doesn't catch it. "I'm really great!"

"Good to hear." He offers a warm smile, attention now solely on Zayn, "You're quiet, son."

Zayn chuckles nervously, "Yeah."

"He's not much of a talker," Niall interjects, adoration laced in his every word.

My dad gestures with his head toward the living room, my cue to follow him as he exits. I hold up a finger to the the boys before following my father. When I get to the living room, he's standing on the opposite side of the room, waiting for me with his arms crossed. I approach him cautiously, wondering what in the world I did to piss him off now.

"You know how I feel about you having boys over when I'll be out," he says quietly.

I suppress my laughter, "Dad, seriously?! It's Niall." He continues to stare at me, completely oblivious to why it's different with Niall than with Harry. I can't help but laugh, finding it utterly amusing that my dad has no idea. His cluelessness astounds me; I thought he knew. He had to have known...

"Dad," I begin, my lips twitching with excitement. "You know Niall's gay right?!"

Oh, how I wish I had a camera in this moment. His jaw actually, physically drops and his eyes widen tremendously. He had no idea. And suddenly I'm doubled over, laughing at my dad's expense, abdominal muscles protesting. I stand up and compose myself, wiping stray tears from beneath my eyes. And my dad's glaring at me, which makes me laugh even harder. Once I've collected myself fully, I step closer to my dad and pat his arm. "I thought you knew."

"How would I have known that?!" he asks, clearly irritated and embarrassed that I'm laughing at him.

"Oh, I don't know... Maybe because he has the biggest crush on you," I raise my voice, enticing Niall to join the conversation.