thirty

Songs for this chapter:

18 - One Direction

North - Sleeping At Last

Flightless Bird, American Mouth - Iron & Wine

Cleo's POV:

"Morning." Soft kisses and Harry's deep, sleepy voice are the best things to wake up to in the entire world.

The smile that tugs at the corners of my mouth is automatic as Harry brushes his lips against mine, "Hi." My voice sounds alien, so hoarse and gruff from sleep.

Harry's fingers weave intricately through my hair, "I'm gonna take a shower, if that's alright."

I nod, wandering back into the depths of sleep, "Wake me when you're done."

What feels like hours later, but is probably minutes, there are two tentative knocks on my bedroom door. At first, I think nothing of it, barely even allowing my eyes to flutter open. But then, my ears pick up the faint sound of the shower running and- shit! Faster than I think I've ever moved, I scurry around my bedroom, collecting Harry's belongings before slipping into the bathroom as quietly as possible. I plop down on the closed toilet seat and wait with baited breath to see if my dad enters my room.

Out of nowhere, Harry pulls back the shower curtain and smiles down at me, "Cleo!" His voice is light and carefree, which is exactly the opposite of what I feel as I bolt across the small space and leap into the shower. My hand comes down across his mouth with an audible smack, and I put my index finger against my lips, indicating that he should shut up if he's smart. If my dad catches him in here, he might actually castrate him, and Lord knows what he'll do to me. Probably bury me alive in the backyard - if I'm lucky.

We stand in silence for a couple seconds, as I listen for the sound of my dad's footsteps coming toward the bathroom. But there's nothing. Suddenly, Harry rips my hand away from his face and whispers, "Cleo, what are you-"

My palm covers his mouth once again as I aggressively shush him. Jus then, the footsteps I've been dreading come stomping across my bedroom floor, slowly approaching Harry and I's impending doom. With every step, my heart beats a little faster, and it thoroughly feels like it's going to burst right open. Then, the rhythmic steps come to a stop and the only noise is my pounding heart and the water pouring down on Harry and I's bodies. My shirt and socks are both soaking wet and clinging to my body fiercely. But that's the least of my worries.

Knock. Knock. Knock. "Cleo?"

My brain screams at me to be rational and respond, to not freak out and screw this up. But it's too late for that. My heart beat has become one continuous hum within my chest, making my entire body vibrate, and my voice has completely left me, hightailing to the back of my throat and lodging itself there. Harry elbows me lightly in the ribs, nodding his head in the direction of the bathroom door. "Come on," he whispers against my palm, "You can do it." He inhales and then slowly exhales against my skin, "Breathe."

And I do. In, out, repeat. Seconds go by and my dad knocks again, probably starting to wonder if I've drowned or something. His voice is less calm as it comes through the door, "Cleo? You alright?"

With one final breath, I force my voice not to fail me, "Yeah, Dad?"

I can practically hear him sigh with relief, "Just wanted to let you know that I'm going in to work early, I'll see you tonight."

"Okay!" I call, biting my bottom lip.

"Be careful, the roads are horrible today."

I intertwine my shaking fingers and squeeze them, "Alright. Love you!"