Let Me Make My Choice

"When all is said and done and dead does he love you the way that I do? Breathing in lighting, tonight's fighting. I feel the hurt, so physical."

- 'Think Twice' by Eve 6

"Arkham," I breathe, bolting out of bed and feel extreme pain through my whole body.

"Holy shit," Edward says jumping up from the chair that he is slumped over in, "She's like a Jack in the Box." He continues, rubbing his eyes under his glasses and straightening out his jacket.

"Shut up," Oswald scolds from the chair next to his best friend, he seems to be more awake than Edward is. He looks to the chair across from him, "Bruce."

I feel warm protective arms around me and turn my head to see Bruce has gotten up from where he, I assume was sleeping, to pull me into him and steady myself.

Edward stands up from the chair and slips out of the room. Before I have time to ask if he is going to get Jonathan, Bruce speaks,

"I was so worried." I lean back into his arms.

"I'm fine." I assure him, placing my hands over his arms.

"After I pulled your body out of almost four flights of Arkham," Bruce replies. I close my eyes only to see visions of ash, rubble and fire. I can still hear the sounds of Alice's taunting voice and see Nathans hanging dead body from one of the cells. Who told his parents? Who called all of those people while I was lying in bed completely unconscious?

"So it wasn't a dream?"

"No," Bruce shakes his head.

"Please tell me you found Alice's body?" I ask, giving him my full attention.

I groan inwardly, he hasn't slept in days and it's all my fault. His eyes have circles of days without sleep, his usual perfectly kept hair is in disarray, he has a beard growing from his face, at normal circumstances I would laugh but this wasn't the time and I didn't have the energy to tease him. 

At least Oswald who is now leaning up against the bed post doesn't look as bad as Bruce.

"No," Bruce sighs. "No one found her body which means somehow she got out."

"Because she can't just be dead," Oswald sighs, "and her body just can't be in bits and pieces."

I smirk, knowing Oswald is trying to make light of an annoying situation.

"No that would be too easy for us all," Bruce groans. Oswald nods.

"I'm glad to see you're alright," Jonathan says, standing in the doorway, Edward right behind him a smile still plastered on his face.

"Well considering," Oswald snaps, turning his full attention to his best friend. I look over in alarm Oswald.

What went on while I was sleeping? I have never heard Oswald be this upset at someone for no reason. I mean there was this one time with one of his workers but that was very different.

"I said I was sorry," Jonathan rolls his eyes, glancing at Oswald and back at me.

Don't look at me Jonathan, I have no idea what the hell is going on and I don't know if I have the energy to try and sort this all out.

"God knows why you said it to Bruce. You should have said it to Batman," Oswald snaps again.

Bruce muffles his laughter into my shoulder, I smile in response. If only he knew.

"I'm going to go," Jonathan shakes his head and turns around.

Why?

"Johnny," I call out, going to get out of bed only to be met with a sharp shooting pain that spreads throughout my body.