Chapter 18: A Letter of Recommendation

"Jack! Jack!" I scream as I run into the lodging house, dragging my real father behind me. Spot chuckles as he walks along behind us.

Jack looks up immediately and then, his eyes trail up to the man I'm dragging behind me. Our father. Our real father.

"Jay, what's goin' on?" Jack asks. I smile at him and point up to our dad.

"Jack, this is Donald Sullivan," I tell him. Jack knits his eyebrows in confusion. "Our fadda."

"Jay, that ain't possible. He jus got arrested," Jack tells me. I shake my head.

"No," I tell him. "Follow me."

Jack and our dad follow me back to a secluded room and I shut the door so the three of us can talk privately.

"I don't know how 'r what happened, but that ain't our fadda," I tell Jack slowly before breathing the words out. "It was Race's."

"How?" Jack asks. He looks at our dad with anger in his eyes. "And, if you's our fadda, why didja leave us high 'n dry. 'N, why didja kill ma?"

"I didn't," our dad tells us. He looks between the two of us lovingly. Then, he begins the story. "Jack, you were about four and Jaylinn, you were two. I found out your mother had been going behind my back with another man--."

"Ma cheated on ya?" I yell out in anger. My dad looks at me and nods, gently resting a hand on my knee to calm me down.

"Yes, so I told her I wanted a divorce. We signed some papers and she insisted on custody of you too. The court gave it too her because she was related to Pulizter--." our dad explains. Jack and I jump up from our seats in rage.

"We's related ta Pulizter?" Jack yells in fury.

"I ain't related to that two faced, son of a--!" I start to yell when my father cuts me off.

"Jaylinn! It's very distantly. He is the half brother of your mother's mother. You probably have no traces of him in your blood at all," our father explains. I sit back down calmly and my dad continues the story. "Anyway, she took you to in and I wasn't allowed to see you at all. She allowed the man, Harold Higgins, to move in with you, but they never officially got married. Your mother had insisted he take my name for you two and you were both easily tricked."

"I's actually wondered 'bout our eye color," Jack points out. "He had brown eyes and couldn't figure out why Jay and I had blue 'n green eyes."

My dad nods, a twinkle in his deep blue eyes. I remember my mother had had green eyes and golden hair. I must've gotten my eye color from my dad. My real dad.

"Then, he started beating on you two. I prepared to go back to get you, but the next day, the papers said you two had run away and I had no clue where to find you," my dad says, his voice shaking. "I thought I'd never see you two again. Then, I heard that Harold Higgins killed your mother and was on the loose. I was worried for you two, but luckily, he stayed undercover for a while. I never knew why, but he had a particular hatred for Jaylinn.

"It was before he had met your mother that he killed his son and wife--."

"He didn't kill his son," I tell my dad, who looks at me with a confused expression. "He's alive 'n kickin' right here in this lodgin' house. Anthony Higgins?"

"That's right...?" my father trails off, waiting for my to finish.

"He changed his name ta Racetrack or, just Race," I tell my dad. "He's me best friend."

"Should we tell 'im?" Jack asks. I shake my head, just as my father does.

"We can't, Jack," I tell him. My dad looks confused, probably because I called him Jack. "He'll be mortified."