Chapter 37: Church Doors

Flashback:

"I'm sorry."

End of Flashback.

"We are gathered here today to celebrate the life Mary Jaylinn Sullivan," the pastor says. I sit in between Spot and Jack. Sarah shudders and Jack grips her hand tighter. I look up at Jack's red eyes and another tear rolls down my face. "Her life was short, only about three months, but the joy she brought her parents, aunts and uncles, and grandparents was endless."

Flashback:

"There was nothing we could do," the nurse says. Jack's jaw drops. "I'm sorry."

End of Flashback.

"The first eulogy will be given by Mrs. Esther Jacobs, the grandmother of the infant," the pastor says. I glance at the coffin again. How small it is? Another tear.

Spot's arm wraps around me and squeezes my shoulder. He looks at me and smiles, but his eyes and nose are red, something that happens when he cries. He leaned forward and kisses my forehead.

Flashback:

"Her airways we inflamed and they closed," the nurse says. Sarah looks at Jack.

"How could you!?" she screams, falling to the ground crying. "How could you let this happen?"

End of Flashback.

"My granddaughter was the most prized possession of my daughter and her wonderful husband. When they first found out, I took Sarah to the store and offered to help her buy things for the baby," Mrs. Jacobs sniffles. "She was so overjoyed I was scared she was going to buy the whole store."

Ripples of laughter from the audience.

"She picked out a few dresses, some pajamas and things. She loved them so much," Mrs. Jacobs says. "But, the one thing I remember is that she bought this blanket. It was a little pink blanket, but she was certain Mary was going to love it so much."

I look over at Sarah to see her sobbing into Jack's shoulder and I feel more tears well up into my eyes. I turn and rest my head on Spot's chest and he wraps his other arm around me too.

"But, I remember walking into Sarah's room one day and she was laying on her bed with the blanket over this big bulging belly," Mrs. Jacobs demonstrates how big Sarah's belly was with hand motions. "And, she was talking to Mary. And she said, 'this blanket will keep you warm in the years to come, my dear'."

At this point, I'm sobbing because, even though the casket is closed, I know that Mary is being buried with that blanket. It will keep her warm in years to come because it's cold underground.

"And, I will never forget that," Mrs. Jacobs says, her throat thickening with tears. "We will all m-miss you, Mary. We l-love you so m-much."

Flashback:

"I'm sorry, ma'am," the nurse says, standing there awkwardly as Jack helps the sobbing Sarah up. "We did all that we could."

End of Flashback.

"The last eulogy is to be given by David Jacobs, the uncle of the child," the pastor says. Then, he beckons David up. "David."

"Thank you, Mr. Foster," David says, tugging the collar of the shirt underneath his suit jacket. Then, he looks out over the people. "I was mad about the baby at first."