Chapter 13: Her Father

SPOT'S P.O.V:

I pace on the roof of my room in a panic. Jay said she was going to get some air, but it's been an extremely long time since she left and I'll admit km worried. I know I broke up with her, but I still love her and I just want her to be okay. I still love her, but I know she doesn't. She made that perfectly clear when she called me 'master' today. I don't think she knew it, but her voice wavered a little bit and it broke my heart.

Then, Squints, who I'd asked to keep me posted if he heard anything about Jay, comes running up to the roof, panting and put of breath. My head snaps to him, my eyes searching him for a sign of something, anything.

"There's a goil here who says she needs ta talk ta ya," Squints says. I roll my eyes. Now that I'm single, the ladies have been lining up around the block again, but I've sent each of them away. Maybe I can get Jay to notice me that way.

"I don't wanna see no goils right now," I say, a lot more harshly than I intended to. Squints looks me dead in the eyes and says four words.

"This one ya might."

Then, he steps to the side and reveals a familiar face. Lucy Marino, the girlfriend of William Rossi, the leader from the Bronx. There's only one reason she could be here.

"What's wrong, Lucy?" I ask her. She nods a little and takes a deep breath, beginning.

"I was walkin' back ta Midtown 'cuz sellin' was bad up there ta-day, when this hooded guy grabs me arm and drags me into an alley way, coverin' me mouth. As soon as he lets go, I scream as loud as I can to get his attention. Well, your goil Jay musta been walkin' around nearby because she runned inta the alley and tells the guy ta stop. Well, he said she was jus the person he was lookin' and pinned her 'gainst a wall too," Lucy pauses and moment, and then, continues. I feel my fists clench and my muscles tighten. She can't be dead, she can't be. "Then, he took his hood off and she got all scared. Then, he grabbed her hair and slammed her head against the wall, took her, and left."

"Who was he?" I ask urgently. Lucy looks confused.

"Who was who?" she asks. I grip her shoulders and give her a firm shake.

"The killer! Who was the God damned killer?" I yell in a frenzy of panic and fear. Spot Conlon never acts like this! Get a grip!

"Oh," Lucy winces. She wrenches herself out of my grip and turns to leave without a word when she turns around. "Your goil saved me life, so I'm gonna tell ya. And, not for you, for her."

"Who was it?" I ask softly. And then, Lucy speaks two words that make my blood boil and the hair on my neck stand on end. Two words that anger me and break me at the same time.

"Her father...."

JAY'S P.O.V:

I wake with pounding in my skull. I have a gag in my mouth and I'm too dizzy to make sense of where I am. There's an ache on the back of my head that hurts like hell and, wondering what it is, reach back to touch it. My fingers only gently graze over the indentation, but that's enough to make me bite down as hard as I can on the gag in my mouth and bring tears to my eyes. The dizziness finally subsides and I immediately know where I am.

The basement of my old house.

"Oh, Sunshine, you're awake," a taunting voice shatters the silence. He doesn't speak all that loud, but it still makes my skull ache, but not as badly as when I touched it. I just bite down on the gag, refusing to show him weakness. "Not going to talk, Sweetie? Oh, then I'll make you."

My father's hand comes in contact with my face and the sudden motion sends searing pain through my head and a warm liquid gushing down my neck. I bite the gag and my eyes tear up. A small whimper escapes my lips, but I don't think he notices it. I reach my hand to the back of my neck and sticky blood coats my fingertips.