Chapter 24: 10 October, 1900

10 October, 1900

Dearest Spot,

I would like to start off this letter by saying I'm sincerely sorry for your loss of last week. It honestly feels like my loss as well. I never imagined losing Tick this soon. Shame on the Queens Newsie who killed him. I hope he knows how much I dearly loved him.

Tick had been my friend from the moment I started staying in Brooklyn. I remember the first time I ever crossed bridge, he almost threw my off the docks. I will never forget that. But, since I had become closer with you, I become ever more closer with your boys, Tick, Curly, and Bats in particular.

I'm too far away for it to feel real. That's what I honestly hate about death. The further away you are from it, the more surreal it feels. The more pain you feel later as far as I'm concerned. I loved like a brother, treated him as a brother while he treated me as his sister, and I'll miss him like a sister misses her brother. He was a great person, inside and out, and I'm sad that he never got old enough to share that with the world.

I regret not being able to be there to grieve with you and the other Brooklyn boys. Let them know the have my condolences and Curly especially, for that was his best friend, his brother, his everything. I miss all of you and don't look forward to the day I walk up to the gates of the docks and see that a very familiar face is missing.

I love you so much and hope that you can recover quickly, as that's what Tick wants, I'm sure.

All of my love in your time of need,

Jay

P.S. Please wish Kamden a happy birthday and make sure she knows that it hasn't slipped my mind, even with all the crazy stuff going on. Also, make sure she hats the box of chocolates I'm sending with this letter for her birthday present. I know she loves. I love you and I'll try to write next month.