Chapter 29: 18 March, 1901

18 March, 1901

Dear Spot,

Spring is so beautiful when you're not in New York. I do, however, miss New York more than I ever thought I would. All my life I strived to leave the city, only to realize I never wanted to leave. I just wanted to change my life. And, I have.

I come home next month. I can't wait to see you and all the other boys. Or Race. Or Kamden. My brother. I miss all of you so much! I can't wait to come home! I can't wait to see how your reporting job has been going. I hear from Race that you've been getting good headlines lately.

I miss being a Newsie sometimes. I know you do too. I miss the freedom of it, the way I had no obligations except to sell my papes, but that had been something I'd always wanted to do anyway. I miss barely even knowing what a clock was. I miss being able to rely on Kloppy to wake me. I miss nobody expecting me to use proper grammar. By the way, I don't write with it anymore, but my accent is still as thick as it was when I left, as I've been told. But, all of this caused something to occur to me. I remember having an evil father from the beginning and thinking things would never get better, but then, I figured it out, as I imagine all people do eventually. We can't control how our stories start, but we can control how they end.

Anyway, I should go. I have a meeting with my boss to discuss my departure, as I will no longer be working there. Oh, and Jack claims there's an amazing surprise waiting for me when I get back. I can't help, but wonder what it is. Well, I should go.

I love you so much and just remember that!

All my love,

Jay​​​​​​​