Chapter One

"Emma, Max wake up! We need to leave in twenty minutes." I yelled through the small one bedroom shack that we unfortunately lived in." Why can't we sleep in, sissy?" Emma cried and rubbed her eyes. Max lazily creeped into the kitchen to steal some homemade waffles.

"School is important. At least you two will be together. I will have to be all alone," I faked cried. By the way, I am Brooklynn Chae Hughes. My seven year old twins siblings and I just moved to Dillon, Texas from Augusta, Maine. Quite a bit of a change, I know.

"Clothes time! Emma take a shower, quickly, and Max go put your clothes on since you had a bath last night." I commanded and put the dishes in the sink to hand wash after school. It is hard to be a seventeen year old and caring for twins.

"Sissy, Can I wear some makeup?" Emma giggled and held up by barely used red lipstick. That color is too cliche for me.

"No, Emma. Not until you are my age." I glared at her as she stomped into their shared master bedroom. They get the master bedroom, and I get the uncomfortable couch.

"Guys, lets go!" I called and grabbed their lunches and book bags.

"Sissy, can we go with you?" Max gave me his sweet puppy dog eyes, they don't understand how lucky they are.

"Baby, you will have more fun where you are going," I patted his head as we walked to my black 2002 Ford F-150. We are going to be late if they don't get in the truck.

"Alright. Guys lets hurry up. We don't want to be late." I gently pushed Emma up in the back seat.

"Brooklynn!! Can we talk real fast?" My nice older neighbor, Mrs. B, quickly walked up to me. Man... Really?

"Sure. I need to get them to school in 15 minutes though." I smiled a bit and shut Emma's door.

"I will be quick. I know you are having a hard time right now, all by yourself. I will be willing to babysit for you if you wanted to get a job. I will do it for free as well." She stated and waved to the kids.

"Are you sure? Because that would be amazing!" I all but screamed in her face. "Of course, sweetie. We can discuss a schedule or something over coffee Saturday morning?" She chuckled at my happiness.

"Yes! Thank you so much!" I quickly hugged her. "You need to run now. Drive safety." She slightly shoved me towards the driver door. "Thank you again. Good Bye!" I yelped and jumped in the truck. Time to spend eight hours in hell.

----------------------------------------------

At School

Where am I? I am so lost. I have passed this bathroom twelve times.

"Kid! Get to class." A teacher demanded before slamming his door. "Wait! Where is the front office?" I almost tripped to get to his door.

"Down the hall and first door on your right." A kid said before slipping into the class.

At least some people are nice here.

"Hello. I need to pick my schedule up. My name is Brooklynn Hughes." I smiled at the middle aged woman on her phone.

"Oh honey. I was about to call you. We got worried that you had forgotten. I am Mrs. Jones." She smiled and handed me a full manilla folder with my name on it. "Your locker is actually right out the door. Number 32." Mrs. Jones pointed as I slowly waved a good bye and scampered out the door.

What is my schedule? I hope lunch is soon. So first is gym... What the actual fu.... "Get out of the way, white girl."

"Yo. Leave her alone, Jo. Hi there. My name is Smash. I am a football player here." This decently nice guy shook my hand and glared at 'Jo'.

"Hi. I'm Brooklynn. Thanks for that." I was really grateful, but I can handle myself. "No problem. Are you new around here? Smash would have remembered a pretty face like your's." He winked and leaned on the locker.

"First day here. So could you show me where Mr. Chapman's gym class is?" I glanced at my new gym teacher's name. "I can take you there. I have that class right now, too." He wrapped his arm around my shoulders and led me to the newly painted gym.

----------------------------------------------

" Everyone is required to be able to run a mile in under nine minutes before the year is over." Coach Chapman yelled to us once the entire class had arrived. It seems like there is only five girls in here. Three look-a-like hookers, and the other one actually looks pretty normal.

"OMG! You are so pretty!" One of the hookers squealed and touched my brown curly hair.

"Hi, I'm Julie Taylor. What's your name?" The normal looking one smiled and squeezed between the hooker and myself.

"Name is Brooklynn. Thank you for interrupting her," I huffed and patted my now frizzy hair down. "It's cool. Did you just move here?" Julie asked and watched the hookers attach themselves to the football players. Smash included.

Julie gagged when one of the rally girls started flirting with the coach. "I did just move here. From Maine." I glanced at the worn down gray Vans on my feet.

"Maine? Big change being in Dillon, huh?" She wide-eyed looked at me. "A little bit. It is hot here." I giggled and checked the time on my crappy flip-phone.

"I think we are going to be good friends." She smiled up at me once we started walking towards second period which is AP Literature.

--------------------------------------------------------------

Thank you for reading. Sorry for any errors. :D

-Brooke