Chapter Eight

So Prom was epic, and I kept my promise about updating by Sunday. :D

---------------------

We sat in silence as Max was taken out on his bed by five nurses and one doctor. Emma slowly unlatched from me and sat in the other open chair.

I grabbed her hand in mine as I tried to remain calm for her sake. "Sissy, is Max going to be okay?" She stared up at me with tears streaming down her face.

"I'm not sure yet. He is strong. Remember when he broke his arm, and never cried? He will fight through this." I gave her a small smile. Times like this makes me wish my parents were still here.

We have been sitting in this small room for the past three hours without any word other than, "it's not good." It is now 11 O'clock and Emma is hungry.

"Sissy. I need food. Please." She groaned and rubbed her stomach as I rolled my eyes. I stood up and stretched before hauling her up on my hip.

I cracked the door to see a nurse typing away at the nurses' station, so I fully emerged and headed her way. "Hi, Ma'am? Is it okay if we run down to the cafeteria? We are getting kind of hungry." I asked sweetly and she smiled at Emma.

"Okay. What room are you in, so I can tell the nurses where you have gone?" She asked and stopped typing. "Room 17A. Max Hughes." I answered with a small smile again, but it quickly fell when her face drained of color and she slowly stood up.

"I will have food bought up here to you. The doctor will be taking to you in about 30 minutes. Let me go ahead and call your food in. What would you want, they have about everything." She stumbled over her words a little and handed me a notepad and pencil.

I wrote down what Em and I both would eat, Pizza. Before sliding it back to her and heading back towards the room.

My head started pounding when all the endless possibilities ran through my head about what the doctor might say. Maybe he is just dehydrated?

I crumbled back into my chair as Em pulled her small game-boy out of her purse to play.

My phone suddenly went off causing me to jump a bit. I looked and saw it was from Jules. "Hello?" I answered.

"My mom told me that Max was in the hospital and all those other things. How is he?" She didn't even say hello.

"We don't know anything yet. The doctor should be in pretty soon. Are you at lunch or skipping?" I asked and leaned back in my chair.

"Lunch and that is crazy. Do you want me to come see you after school?" She is the world's fastest talker I swear.

"No, it's fine. Hopefully we will know something before long." I mumbled as a male worker peaked in and sat the three slices of pizza down before nodding his head at me and leaving.

"I hope so. Listen. Tim was at the house when mom told dad and I why you weren't going to be at school, and now he won't leave me alone, asking about you." She rambled and I gaped a little. I thought I had completely lost his interest.

"Oh. Just tell him, we can talk later. I have to go the doctor is about to come it." He might be about to come in or not. I need to concentrate on Max right now.

"Okay. Bye, love bug." She hung up and I followed suit of Em and wolfed my one and a half pizza slices down.

Not too long after I finished the pizza, the doctor knocked and entered the room.

"Brooklynn Hughes, nice to meet you, I am doctor Bronson." He stuck his hand and and grabbed mine. I felt the sweat begin to pool on my skin.

"I am sorry, but I have bad news." He started out, I could feel the stress, pity, and sadness in his eyes and posture.

It can't be that bad can it?

"Max has leukemia." 

--------------------------------------------

PLOT TWIST!!

Max is strong, but will he pull out of it?

Will Tim help Brooklynn through it? Let's hope so. Vote and comment! Tell me what you like or don't like. :D

Stay safe

-Brooke