CHAPTER 12

(Amber's POV)

I woke up in Legolas' arms and I didn't want to wake him so I just layed there looking out the window as the sun started to rise and I smiled. after a few moments there was a rather loud knock on the door which woke Legolas.

"come in its open," I say pushing myself up so I was half sitting half laying on the bed and legolas did the same. the door opened and Jessie walked in and stopped when he saw us in the bed together our hair in a mess.

"mother would like to see you two in the dinning hall right away," he said before turning around and walking out of the room shutting the door behind him. I just look at Legolas before we both get up and brush our hair which took a while because we had to take our braids out because we slept with them in. after that we headed to the dinning hall. as we entered the hall we where greeted by my mother who was sitting in her regular spot and we joined her. after we had eaten she turned to  me.

"have you decided who you are going to partner with there are only four left and you brother has chosen Leah so you cant be with him," she said looking into my eyes.

"Leah cant fight," is all I say.

"that's true but she still has to do it because she needs her crystal as well." she explained.

"true.... is it possible to be by myself and the others may be together and am one of the best after all," I ask and I steal a swift glance at Legolas who was sitting there watching us as we spoke clearly confused.

"no you cant you must have a partner it has been this way for generations and you cant change that," she said and I just looked down at the table avoiding her gaze.

"What about the others ?will there be a team of three? That has never happened before and its not right," i say getting defensive.

"thats why i was thinking of letting the young prince here be your partner," she gestured to Legolas who was so confused.

"no outsider has ever been aloud to participate, ever why can we change that and not the team part," I almost yell not caring what Legolas felt about being called an outsider.

"you cant be a one person team there are  challenges  that require two not just one," she replied calmly. and I just growl at her. "you will be doing most of the things but you will need him for other challenges trust me child," she added and I looked at her in defeat.

"alright," I say turning to Legolas who was so confused. "you will be my partner and will help me with the tasks that require two and the ones that don't require us to shift into there animal forms," I explain and my mother nods. 

" I have sent your suits to your room so go get ready," she said and with that we left heading back to the room.

when we arrived to the room there was a matching pair of green trousers and the same green tunics. they where loose and made for skin-changers. I quickly changed in the bathroom as Legolas changed in the bedroom. when we were done I lead him down to the arena and he stood in aw as we walked into the vast cavern and I couldn't help but smile. I took his hand leading him down to the small set of stairs in the far side of the arena that was facing the seats on the side with the door. we took our place beside my mother as all the others came into the arena most sat in the seats and a handful stood on the stairs with us. I held my head high and my ears up as mother started to speak.

" friends and family we are glad to see you hear to see these young Skin-changers become part of the great packs that we live in. there courage will be tested and there strength will be put to the test as they face all the challenges we have for them.  this year will be different, for the first time we have a outsider who is to be the partner with my eldest Amber. Prince Legolas son of King Thranduil of Mirkwood will help her as there are no other skin-changers to partner with her. Leah will be doing the same as Legolas because of her conditions. with that said I present to you the future members of our great packs," she announced and the crowd when wild with hoots and hollers. after they had died down she had a horn past to Legolas and Leah. "Legolas and Leah will use these horns as there howls, let us begin," and with that she changed and let out a loud roar and Jessie and I were next to do so and after that all the other young skin-changers howled along after a slight hesitation Legolas blew his horn in a loud clear note and with that the games began.

"the challenge of strength will be first witch will be mine," I whisper to Legolas and he just nods.  

"the strength challenge is first , Amber and Shay will be first," she continued saying the names and who will fight who.

"easy I'm going to win this," I said to myself and Legolas looked at me as my eyes filled with hate for the one who tried to poison me the night before.

the fight began and I changed  pouncing  on Shay as she dogged I swung around just as she had pounced landing on my back. I fell to the ground and rolled ending on top of her before biting her front leg making blood stain her white fur. she pushed me off and ranked her claws down my left back leg . I fall to the ground and she pins me. I use my forepaws to keep her jaws away from my neck and rank my back claws down her underbelly and feel the sticky blood fall into my fur and she fall and I push her off. she lays her ears flat to the side of her head in defeat and I get up and stand proudly over her and here the crowd cheer at my victory. I walk up to my mother laying my ears back a small amount in respect to her role as the overall pack leader for all the packs. she heals my leg and I change back to my elven form and smile.

"Amber is the victor and will be fighting James next," she said and I turned to Legolas who was watching his face full of concern but  I brushed it to the side. the fights continued and I had one all the one I was to fight in in the end almost all the young skin-changers had to be taken to the healing ward where mother would heal them latter. after the events that day Legolas and I retired to our chamber and I fell asleep as soon as I had changed and layed down on the bed.