0.1: Trespassing.

I fear not the dark itself, but what may lurk within it.

Sunday night. Also known as the last day of winter vacation. Most people right now are no doubt dreading the first day back to school, just because it meant that there would be new teachers to impress and new classes to fear. Then there are other people, who right now are probably wishing that their break lasted longer to do more of the fun things they've done all vacation.

Me? I'm glad to go back to school. The weekdays were my opportunity to be away from Richard McCall. Hell, I prefer Harris and his strict teaching methods than my father. At least Harris is somewhat lenient when it comes to me and my 'disability', as I've heard Dad call it.

This is probably where I add a witty description of myself. Blow my abilities out of proportion, says things to make me seem more interesting. Well, I'm not that type of person. So, I'll keep it simple and sweet.

My name is Mia McCall and I'm visually impaired. Blind, if you will. Go ahead, call me out on my bluntness, but I'd rather state it to the world than have people ask me why I wear sunglasses to cover my eyes all the time. I try to act all tough about it, but really, it's something that affects my life every single day.

I missed the feeling of seeing the world around me. Admiring the imperfections in every human being. Watching a sunrise. Seeing the look on my mother's face when I showed her an amazing picture I took. Every second that dragged on while I was in this amaurotic state, I wished I was dead.

God. That sounded overly dramatic, didn't it? Whatever.

I don't know how to describe the last couple of years of my life since the accident. The straightforward version is that my father hates me, my mother is in a constant state of freak-out, and I feel like hell. That's an understandable depiction, right? Or should I add that my father has been hitting my mother since I was two? That my father was rarely home because of work, and those were the days we could breathe easily? And that my aunt is convincing my mother to get a divorce just like she did with Uncle Rafael?

The reason why it's taking a lot of persuasion is because Mom's scared. She believes that my father will try to do something to her, or worse, to me. I could care less about what does or does not occur to me, but I care about my mom. Even in my sightless condition, I've tried to defend Mom with everything I possess but just end up getting hurt. So I kinda have to go along with Mom even if I agree with Aunt Mel.

Other thing that kept my mother from filing a divorce was the fact that we didn't have much family to run to. My mother is an only child, and her parents disowned her the moment she married my father. Aunt Melissa, who I mentioned earlier was married to my father's twin Rafael, lived next door to us with my cousin Scott. They were the only ones we could trust.

Scott and I have been together for almost everything during our upbringing. We were more like siblings instead of cousins, and we both had medical ailments. I'm blind, he's a severe asthmatic. But that didn't stop us from trying to be better people every day. Scott was, hands down, one of my favorite people on this planet.

I'm abruptly pulled out of my thoughts when I hear screaming from next door, my body jolting up from my bed. The first thing that comes to mind is that maybe someone is breaking into Aunt Mel's house. Scott, like me, was home alone. Both my mother and Aunt Mel had the night shift at the hospital tonight, where they work as nurses.

It's until I recognize my cousin's voice that I get up with a groan and feel around for my pole.

"Stiles, what the hell are you doing?!" Scott shouts.