1.3: Predators.

It is not the strongest or the most intelligent who will survive but those who can best manage change.

WELCOME TO MIA MCCALL'S RANDOM POP QUIZ OF THE DAY! To continue reading this horror story involving stupid werewolves who like to drag cute but blind people to hospitals for fun, please answering the following question.

1. It's a cold, dark evening. You're settled in bed, warm blankets wrapped around your petite, barely-over-five-feet body, and you're listening to your new James Patterson audiobook about Maximum Ride and genetically modified bird kids. Suddenly, someone gently pulls your headphones off and orders in a low voice for you to follow him out the window and into the night just for kicks. The voice is recognizable, belonging to one Derek Hale. How do you react?

A) Flip him the bird, sink lower into the blankets, and tell him he should go bother your cousin instead.

B) Scream bloody murder, hit him, and call the cops.

C) Sigh dramatically, obediently climb out of bed, and complain as said older male leads you to the rooftop of a video store to witness a recent murder committed by a crazy Alpha werewolf. Just because you might like the guy.

If you chose A, I like you. Sass is the way to go. If you went for B, you're quite sensible. But if you picked C, like me, then you and I have serious issues, my friend. I blame the small (or big?) crush I have, so you let me know if there's any way to get rid of that pesky thing.

As I'm standing in between Derek and my cousin Scott on the roof while enduring chilly wind, I decide that I hate mythological creatures. (Yes, I'm looking at you too, unicorns.) I'm shivering in my jacket despite the warmth radiating off the males flanking my sides, but luckily, Scott seems to notice. He wraps an arm around me, instantly ceasing my unattractive teeth clattering. Then, he begins to describe the grisly scene below us. I don't think I'm gonna sleep any time soon.

"Starting to get it?" Derek asks my cousin. And maybe me, but I'm not sure.

"Uh, I get that he's killing people, but I don't get why," Scott replies.

I raise my hand to get their attention, eyebrows furrowed in confusion. "This isn't standard practice, right? You guys just don't go out in the middle of the night murdering everyone, do you?" I just hoped the Alpha was an exception, meaning that I didn't have to worry about Scott going batshit crazy and having himself a little human hunting spree.

"No," Derek answers, calming my racing thoughts. "We're predators. We don't have to be killers."

"Then why is he a killer?" Scott questions.

A slight pause, then a tug on my jacket that has me upright and almost leaning into Derek. I take a step away from him as he says, "That's what we're gonna find out."

I let out a typical Mia groan, rubbing my eyes underneath my sunglasses. "Hell, I'm up for it as long as it means we 'find out' while inside a warm building."

Scott chuckles, taking my hand as we get back to ground level. All of my senses are on high alert as we walk towards Derek's Camaro, which was our ride here, and I can't help but feel uneasy as I try to listen to everything around me. The werewolves at my side must have heard my racing heartbeat because Scott speaks up at the same time Derek does.

"Relax, Mimi."

"Nothing can hurt you when I'm here."

Of course, Derek's declaration causes my heart to speed up, and to my great luck it's taken as an anxiety related reaction. A large palm presses into the small of my back and I know immediately that it doesn't belong to Scotty.