0.3: Myths.

At the center of every fairy tale lied a truth that gave the story its power.

For some reason, my mind keeps entertaining thoughts of Derek Hale. The sole memory I have of him fuels my curiosity all night and most of the next day. Where did he go after his family died? Is he alone now? What happened to the guy who survived the fire? Where is he living?

I'm sucked into my thoughts for most of the day, but neither Scott nor Stiles notice. I know they're too busy drooling over Allison Argent and Lydia Martin respectively, so of course they don't think I seem distracted today.

At the end of the exhausting school day, I walk down the empty halls with my cane smacking the tile every once in a while. I know I'm near Scott's locker; he and I are supposed to meet up before heading to the lacrosse fields for his practice. At least today, he has the decency to wait for me instead of running ahead to impress his crush.

When I approach, I stop and lean against the locker bay, listening to two voices. My fists tighten when I recognize the guy yelling at my cousin.

"You think you're funny? Don't you, McCall?" Jackson Whittemore seethes. "I know you're hiding something. I'm gonna find out what it is. I don't care how long it takes."

I walk towards them, and Scott sighs as the footsteps advance towards me down the hall. Someone purposely bumps into me, and I grit my teeth as a low, "Move, stupid blind bitch" is muttered at me. I'm ready to turn around to yell at Jackson, but Scott captures my arm and guides me away.

"I'm gonna kill him one day."

Scott's cheek is on my shoulder as we briefly hug in greeting, and he shakes his head at me. "I know it's easier said than done, but just try to ignore him."

I nod, and I have to literally bite down on my tongue to not say anything else about that certain topic. Instead, I break away from him. "What was that about?"

"You know Jackson..." His voice begins to recede, so I quickly follow him and link our arms together. I fold my pole up as I sigh.

"What does Captain Douche want?"

At this, Scott stutters a little. "Uh, juice?"

I frown in confusion, but the conversation is dropped faster than a phone call. I feel the ground beneath us change to soft grass, so I know we're close to the bleachers. I scratch at an itch on my neck, and we continue walking until I hear someone runs up to us.

"Scott! Mia, wait up."

We slow down, and I smile when Stiles lightly punches my arm. "Hey."

Scott is not so elated to be in our best friend's presence. "Stiles, I'm playing the first elimination, man, can it wait?" he says hurriedly.

"Just hold on, okay?"

Scott begins to pull me away, faster this time, and I crane my head to listen in on how Stiles is trying to keep up with my cousin's pace. I nod towards him, letting him know that I'm paying attention. What's got Scott so aroused?

"I overheard my dad on the phone. The fiber analysis came back from the lab in LA. They found animal hairs on the body from the woods!" Stiles calls.

My face scrunches up slightly in disgust. "Jesus, really?"

Scott and I finally come to a stop, and he pushes me towards our friend. "Stiles, I gotta go. Take care of her."

I frown. What am I, a baby or a dog to be 'taken care of'? God, I hated being blind.