0.9: Date.

This is one rule about mixing boys and girls: that a date always comes first.❞

Once upon a time, there was a boy. 

Yeah, yeah, this sounds cheesy, but bear with me here. I'm in a storytelling sort of mode, so don't kill my vibe, okay? When you have as much imagination as I do, you're bound to find imaginative ways to tell certain tales. It's either that or die of boredom. But whatever.

Now, where was I?... Ah, yes. The boy. Well, he was pure at heart and fought only for his loved ones. His life had already been shaken and torn apart once, when his father decided to leave without much of an explanation as to why he couldn't be with his son and wife anymore. If you haven't guessed it yet, this boy just happens to be my widdle cousin Scott.

Okay, so I got bored and I did a really crappy job of telling his backstory. Right now you must be asking, "Where is Mia going with this?" "Is she finally going insane?" or maybe "Was that second Pop Tart really necessary this morning?" Oh wait, the last thought was mine. Awkward.

Moving on! Lemme tell you, I love Scotty to death. He and my aunt have been there for me and my mom since the beginning, and I pretty much owe them my sanity. So of course hearing Scott getting all worked up about a homicide he may or may not have committed is driving me up a wall. I felt helpless. I couldn't comfort him because, damn, I wasn't even sure if he was sleep-murdering last night or not.

Scott, Stiles, and I enter the cafeteria, and I'm honestly doing my best to convince my cousin that everything was probably fine. Because, in my defense, "Dreams aren't memories."

"Then it wasn't a dream," the fairly new werewolf huffs as we sit down at our designed nerd table. I make a face when my knee meets the edge of the bench, and a squeak escapes my lips as he continues. "Something happened last night, and I can't remember what."

"What makes you so sure that Derek even has all the answers?" Stiles questions as I rub at my leg, tears threatening to fall.

"Because during the full moon he wasn't changed," my cousin declares. "He was in total control while I was running around in the middle of the night attacking some totally innocent guy."

"You don't know that."

"I don't not know it," Scott retorts our best friend. "I can't go out with Allison. I have to cancel."

I sigh, finally partaking in the conversation after wiping away a stray tear from under my sunglasses. I reach over and grasp Scott's bicep while shaking my head at him. "No, you're not cancelling, okay? I did not raise you this way, son. We are fighters, not wimps." My voice cracks multiple times as I speak because of the pain that's subsiding from my injured leg, so it makes my mini speech sound a lot more dramatic than I had planned and both guys end up bursting into laughter.

Stiles takes a deep breath so he can talk normally again a while later. "Mimi's right, histrionics aside. You can't just cancel your entire life. We'll figure it out."

"Figure what out?" a too-giddy voice chirps, breaking our trio talk. My head snaps towards the feminine sound, and I raise an eyebrow towards the girl as I feel her sit down across from me. Well, well. I could recognize that voice anywhere, and my face must definitely be expressing the 'wtf' moment I'm feeling. I can't help but be suspicious that Lydia Martin is sitting with us, a group of unpopular kids, without some evil motive.

Scott is the first of us to have the courage to break the silence. "Just, uh, homework."

"Yeah," Stiles adds. He leans against me and whispers in my ear, "Why is she sitting with us?"