Chapter 13. The Dress

Earlier

Julia Barringer sat in her yellow stained living room and listened to what the two policemen had to say. She knew whatever it was; it wasn't going to be good news. Julia had heard the tension in their voices as they talked with Samantha on the way up the stairs.

"Good news rarely visit's this house," she told her aging father, who sat in the corner smoking his cigar. He nodded and sucked wetly on the stub. The TV had her attention, and the talk show host she loved so much, was on screen berating some Ne'er-do-well for their lack of motherly love. Julia chuckled and said to Haver's and Muck "fucking hell, we may as well be on there, the complete lack of fucking love here could keep Jeremy's show going for years," she laughed louder. Haver's and Muck watched on uncomfortably.

Haver's waved his hand in front of his face trying to dispel the cloud of pungent smoke that Mr. Barringer senior blew his way, and said "Mrs. Barringer, I don't think you understand, there's a real possibility that the man who did this to you, is back, and you may even be a target again"

Julia turned her head ever so slightly toward Havers voice, and with anger, said "I understand completely, I've been waiting most of my life for the bastard who ripped out my fucking eyes, took away my future, my life, for the bastard who killed my mother" she pointed towards her father "..who mutilated my father and left him for dead" Julia was shaking her head angrily "I've been waiting a long time for him to return, hopefully he'll do a better job, this time around, then I won't have to live like this anymore" she again raised her hands and jabbed at her own ruined face, allowing her fingers to sink into the empty sunken recesses of her eye sockets.

Both Haver's and Muck stared open-mouthed at the angry woman to her silently smoking father and back to her. Julia, her anger having quickly melted away, now faced the TV once again, just in time for her favorite TV show's return from the Ad-break. With a calm and relaxed voice, she said "I don't need, nor want police protection, now please just go, leave me be"

Haver's looked bewildered at Muck, who shrugged his shoulders and had begun to climb to his feet. Shaking his head in resignation of his own, Haver's asked: "Mrs. Barringer, have you anywhere else to stay whilst we catch this fellow, anyone who you can rely on to protect you?"

Julia sighed, annoyed that the two detectives were still there, "I will not run away, this is my home, this is where my TV is. My father will be here with me" she waved a hand in the old man's direction.

Exasperated, Haver's walked towards the door, "you may need more than just your father" but Julia no longer acknowledged his presence.

The only response came from a younger voice.

Samantha, standing in the doorway blocked their exit, said "Oh there is, my brother Tommy. He's in his room listening to music on his headphones, I think". She smiled as Haver's, took his arm and led them down the stairs.

"It's nice that you care....er, I don't know you first name detective"

Haver's smiled, rubbed gently against her side, and was pleased to feel Samantha shiver with what he hoped was pleasure. He said "please, call me John" again he smiled at her "we care a lot, Sam", and handed her his calling card.

The aluminum glass framed door of Aigarth's funeral home shut behind them, and the foyers lights extinguished. Haver's was surprised at how dark it had become since they had entered the Barringer's, and still smiling, climbed into his car just. Turning the key in the car's ignition, it coughed to life, his mobile phone also chirped to life with an incoming TEXT message. Reading the message, Haver's smile broadened, it said "Hi, ;-) Call me. Sam x"

Muck watched as Haver's drove away. Shaking his head, he climbed into DCI's Peel's Rover, and muttering to himself, he to drove off, back towards the station.