Chapter 39. A truth

Even though the early morning traffic around Grimsby was busy Peels heavy and urgent foot had him speeding along Freeman street, startling shoppers and vendors alike. Angry shouts fell on deaf ears as he focused his mind on one solitary thought, a name, a name that held so much uncertainty for him.

So much had happened over the last week from abductions and murders to discovering personal secrets and agonies, Peel almost felt something other than his usual anger. His destination approaching fast he slammed on the brakes and threw the Rover around the corner into a side street. The feeling of dread settled in his gut as the car rolled to a halt. Peel look up at the building he had parked outside of, the frontage read, Aigarths Funeral home. His fingers digging into the steering wheel and his palms wet with nervous sweat Peel remembered the dream he had woken from that morning and he whispered sadly "Julia"

Not bothering with the closed sign in the window Peel shoved at the door expecting it to be locked, but to his surprise it gave. Everything was quiet as he marched into the foyer and without uttering a word he searched the showroom and the back office but found the place empty except for a locked door which he guessed led to the garages to the rear.

Impatient to get on with what he came to do Peel headed up the central staircase taking each step slowly making as little noise as possible. Although he had no real reason to be so cautious something told him that all was not as it seemed. The sound of People talking filtered down to him, he recognized it to be the sound of a television playing, but he could also hear the subtle sound of moaning and which he found unsettling. Taking the last couple of steps two at a time a sense of urgency clawed at Peel's senses. The hallway at the top branch both left and right. Peel turned left and tapped on each door and without waiting entered. Three bedrooms showed signs of being used but were now empty. Moving along the hallway towards the sound of the TV Peel found nothing and no one in the bathroom or the kitchen. Finally, he came to the last room. The door already wide open Peel peeked around the corner into the room to see an old man staring directly back at him smiling and smoking a cigar, he guessed this was the grandfather. Directly in front, Peel could see the back of an armchair and the back of a head. Whoever it was they were directly in front of the TV.

Again Peel felt uneasy about the place and the people in it and he was ready to react as he stepped into the room and announced himself.

"Please don't be alarmed I'm a police officer. My name is Detective Peel; I've have come to ask you some questions regarding the abduction case you have already been made aware of"

Peel waited for an answer or at least for whoever sat with their back to him to at least wonder who had just intruded into their home. There was no reaction from either of them. The TV watcher did not move and the old man continued to smile with his cigar between his teeth. Peel noticed for the first time that the old man was crying through the smile and his gaze was wondering from the TV watcher and then at him. A sudden feeling of understanding hit him and a realization of what the low moaning was. Stepping around to the front of the chair what he found sank his heart.

There a woman sat with her head resting on her chest coughing flecks of blood onto her lips as she fought for every breath. He had seen this kind of scene before and although he hadn't met her she was easily recognizable, the black holes bordered with red raw skin where her eye's had once been told him he had found Julia Barringer.

Peel placed a hand against her forehead and lifted her head up and gently but urgently spoke to her.

"Julia, I'm detective Peel don't worry an ambulance will be on its way very soon, just hold on OK!"

His mobile phone in hand Peel looked at the gauping old man and asked: "have you phoned for an ambulance?"

Getting nothing but a vacant smile Peel dialed. The call made, Peel hung up rather than answer all their questions, instead, he kneeled by her side and talked to her.