Chapter 24. Whiskey

Mason snoozed in the warmth of DCI Peels office enjoying the cool breeze from the open window. Half asleep and half listening, he waited for Peel's return. A quick peek at his wristwatch told him midday had arrived, he wondered where the man was and more to the point what he was up to, Mason had expected him back an hour ago. Shrugging his shoulders, he relaxed back into the couch,

"Oh well he'll turn up when he turns up"

As if summoned by that very thought Mason suddenly heard footsteps echoing from down the hallway and with each step they grew closer and louder. Swinging his leg off of the armrest, Mason sat up and waited for the two individuals to approach and with a last moments guess he greeted the pair before seeing them" Peel and Grayson you may enter"

The door Swung inwards quickly followed by said detectives and Peels raised voice "That's detective Chief Inspector thank you very much. I'm glad you decided to wake up Mason"

Mason smiled sheepishly "How did you know?"

Peel frowned not really wanting to play games but pointed at the couch.

"Head impression on the armrest, the state of your hair and shoes on the floor. I hope we didn't interrupt any particularly good dream you were having on the forces time"

Peel neither smiled or frowned, he rolled out his chair and sat heavily at his paper-strewn desk, the mention of dreams brought back his own earlier dream after reading his father's diary, or was it nightmare he wasn't sure.

As Mason shoehorned his shoes back on to his feet and Muck sat on the chair on the opposite side of the desk, Peel removed the bottle of Scotch and the two glasses from the draw and unlocking the lower draw removed a clean but dusty coffee mug, giving it a blow Peel clinked it with the glasses and began to pour. Looking with annoyance at the disheveled Mason he slid the stained mug in his direction and gave Muck one of the clean glasses. With a smile Mason happily accepted the drink and sat back on the couch and after a sip began to say "Well Robert here's what I found out...."

Downing his shot and slamming down the glass Peel held up a hand to stifle whatever Manson was about to contribute and pouring himself another shot and asked,

"So Muck, who, how, why and what, go?"

Muck ignoring his drink slid a finger across the screen on his phone tapped once and listed everything Peel needed to hear, although first, he commented.

"I guess you haven't checked the case App, Boss" Looking at Peels blank face he shrugged,

"Yeah, stupid question. OK then here's where we stand, Detective Polmis along with constable Jameson came up trumps with your hunch about the Newspaper found on Tina Phillips. Turns out that the Grimsby Post had a break in last month and the thief left behind blood, so I've sent Malloy with both the Blood and the Barringer samples directly to Dr. Roper at Central with strict instructions that he process them right away otherwise you would be following her wearing your size nine's Boss"

Peel nodded satisfactorily "Good, he reacts well to persuasion"

Muck swiped and tapped at his phone once more and began to say "So Boss I received the DNA...." but before he could finish Peel banged his glass down a second time and said,

"No, I want Mr. Snooze here, to tell us what was so tiring about his research" and turning to Mason asked "I wonder what's so interesting that it sent you to sleep"

Mason smiled offered up his mug for a refill and as Peel poured, said,

"You're a regular Pitt bull aren't you Robert, you just can't let things go can you!"