Chapter 28. Reasons

Dr. Harleson's office had changed since he had last visited Peel noted, everything seemed less cluttered, parts were almost bare. Looking around Peel wondered why there were dust voids on the shelves where once books had stood. Even the walls were less busy with pictures and certificate than they used to be. But most of all the to Peels annoyance the office was bare of Dr. Harleson himself. Just then another door opened and out stepped the doctor and the sound of his private toilet finishing its flush cycle.

"Ah! That's better. Oh! Hello Robert nice to see you again "

The doctor sat behind his immaculately ordered desk and automatically rearranged his pens back into the same configuration by his large notebook and said,

"Please sit yourself down and tell me, how can I be of help"

Peel stomped forward pulled out a chair and banged it down. Sitting heavily down Peel folded his arms and shaking his head with a frown, said

"Doctor doctor doctor! Seems you've been hiding things from me, I wonder why. Maybe you'd like to explain"

As Peel spoke Harleson steepled his fingers to his chin. Dropping his hands to his lap Harleson nodded and spoke.

"I guess you found out that I was your father's counselor. I have been waiting for you to for a while. Well now you are here, good"

Peel wrinkled his forehead with annoyance "You've been waiting for me, don't you think you should have told me from the start rather than hide it away and lie whilst you asked me to bare my soul to you"

Harleson held up the palms of his hands "Yes I can understand why you would think that Robert, but you must understand that I was helping you to work through your issues and trying to gauge your mental state before I could sign you off so you could return to active duty. I could not reveal my knowledge and dealings with your father without compromising your treatment"

Leaning forward Harleson placed his hand's palms down on the desk "With that in mind I believed it to be best that I kept it secret and let you come to that knowledge by yourself. Hence during our sessions, I suggested to you that you may wish to study your father's papers, his old cases. I was sure you would find details of mine and your father's sessions soon enough and here you are"

Harleson's smile as he steepled his fingers again did nothing to calm Peel down but rather riled him further.

Peel glared at the Doctor "I told you things that I kept secret all my life. I trusted you as I should be able to. If you had previous knowledge of my past you should have either told me everything you knew or declined to counsel me. Instead, you treated me as if I was some kind of psyche experiment. Was I the subject of your next paper for some psychology journal, DOCTOR" he spat the last word out.

Harleson shook his head "I have kept your confidence as have kept all my patients confidences, as well as your fathers. I would never betray anyone to further my career I can assure you of that. You can have complete trust in me, Robert"

Peel couldn't choose between slapping Harleson or storming out of the room. In the end, he did neither, he sat looking at the old man and asked,

"So tell me what you know Doc and I mean all, understand"

Doctor Harleson nodded, he understood Peels thinly veiled threat and concede to his wishes.

"OK Robert I'll tell you everything but let me warn you that some or all of the truth may sting or even hurt you, do you understand.

Peel impatient nodded "Just get on with it" he demanded.

Harleson spun around in his chair and pulled open a beige filing cabinet drawer and rummaged through its tightly packed contents of files. Finding the one he wanted he slid the drawer shut and spun back to face Peel.