Chapter 14: The Uchiha Siblings [Naruto]

Kakashi

When I had been summoned by the hokage I had first thought it would be about Rin. Our last meeting I told him that Rin showed no advanced skill through the mission but displayed good team work and high analytical skill. I also didn’t tell him that she had used a dark element jutsu. Rin was beginning to grow used to Konoha and I honestly didn’t want her leaving anytime soon. Though now as I saw the other Jounin I knew it wasn’t about Rin.

“I’ve summoned you for a very important purpose but seeing your fellow Jounin here I’m sure you’ve already guessed what this is about” I knew what it was about now, but it seemed so soon.

“I take all the other lands have been noted of the upcoming events. Some of their genin have begun to arrive.”

“And when to we start?”

“We will begin in one week.” I sighed lightly.

“That’s pretty short notice.” The hokage blew from his pipe and looked up.

“Take heed exactly one week from today on the first of July the Genin will be gathered and tested and only the very best will be selected as chunin.”I nodded slightly.

“So now it’s time to choose our candidates for the chunin examinations. To begin will those in charge of the rookie genin step forward.” I moved forward with the other two.

“Kakashi, Kurenai and Asuma what do you say? Are there any in your squads you would recommend who are ready for the exams despite of their lack of experience?” I knew personally that Rin was anything but inexperienced. She would fair we’ll with this challenge as would Sasuke and the others.

“So Kakashi you begin.” I raised my hand taking a slight step forward.

“I lead squad seven; Sasuke Uchiha, Naruto Uzumaki, Sakura Haruno and Rin Uchiha. I Kakashi Hatake recommend all four of these genin for the chunin examinations.” The others followed recommending each of their squads as well.

“Hold on just a second!” We turned glancing at Iruka.

“The eleven names that were given were all my students at one point and I know there skills and abilities. It’s too soon especially for Rin Uchiha who has only just returned.” I sighed.

“When I became a chunin I was six years younger than the members of my squad, also regardless of what he’s done by Rin’s age Itachi Uchiha was well on his way into the ANBU.”

“Rin is not her bother!”

“Rin was well on her way to graduating the academy earlier than Itachi had, her sharingan developed at five and I’m sure if she had remained in the village she would already be a chunin now.

“We don’t know this for certain…”

“This challenge would be good for them, there always complaining about the simplicity of the missions maybe failing this will teach them a lesson…”

“Alright that’s enough Kakashi” I glanced at Kurenai.

“On the contrary Kurenai he needs to hear this, he needs to realize that there not his students anymore their mine.” I could feel the tension in the air but it was true.

“These exams will destroy them you know that…”

“Iruka you have made you’re point and I understand. We will hold a simple preliminary test then for the genin.” I raised my eyebrow slightly. This could be trouble for Rin but if it had to be done, then it would be.

Rin

I finally fully recovered nearly a week after returning. Suki scolded me for being so reckless but to tell you the truth? I didn’t remember what happened. I just remembered feeling angry and hurt and a pressing feeling in my mind like something was trying to take over and I let it. After that it was a hazy blur until the clear picture of waking up in Tazuna’s house the night before we left. Kakashi insisted I still have one more day off so I was spending it wandering the village streets.

“Hey punk get down here” I looked up as I rounded a corner. Naruto and Sakura were there with three preschool kids from the academy. There were two other ninja I recognized as sand ninja and there gazes were cast to Sasuke who sat calmly in a tree tossing a stone in his hand.

“What are you going to use the crow for this!?”The girl seemed panicked as the boy pulled whatever had been on shoulder off.

“Kankuro back off.” I followed the voice slightly surprised to see a boy hanging from the branch next to Sasuke looking down at us.

“You’re an embarrassment to our village.” The boy named Kankuro seemed slightly nervous then.

“Uh H-Hey Gaara” Gaara, why did that name sound so familiar.

“Have you forgotten the reason why we’re here?”

“U-Um I know Th-they challenged us they started the whole thing…”

“Shut up” I noticed the look in the boys sea green eyes.

“Or I’ll kill you” I shuddered slightly knowing that, that was no empty threat.

“I-I’m sorry Gaara I was totally out of line”The boy Gaara turned to look at Sasuke.

“I’m sorry for any trouble he caused.” He disappeared then in a swirl of sand and that’s when it hit me. I knew that jutsu, I was nearly killed by it.

“C’mon let’s go, we didn’t come here to fool around.” The three turned only to stop as they stared at me but my eyes were on Gaara.

“You’re Gaara of the dessert aren’t you?”

“How do you know my name?”

“We’ll other than that kid was saying it every five seconds. My name is Rin Uchiha.” He stared at me then for a long time and I shifted uncomfortably under his gaze.

“Rin Uchiha?” I nodded slightly.

“Assassin of the Aka…”

“Yeah that’s me!” I interrupted. Sasuke knew I had been assassin but he didn’t know for whom. Gaara nodded slightly.

“Wait Rin Uchiha? The Princess of the Uchiha clan is you?” I sighed as I looked at the girl. I guess Kakashi wasn’t kidding when he said other villages spoke of me.

“Yeah, yeah but I prefer Rin. Anyways as good as the little reunion is why are you here?”

“The chunin exams.” I nodded slightly.

“I expect you’ll be entering?” I shrugged then.

“Maybe…”

“You shouldn’t” I raised my eyebrow slightly.

“The Chunin exams are no place for someone like you.”

Gaara

I remembered Rin. The moment I had turned and met her gaze. I recognized those eyes even without the sharingan. It seemed like a hazy memory but became clear. It was also the sense I got from her. Almost as if I could feel the one tail recoiling when she came near.

“Someone like me?” I nodded slightly. She may not be able to defeat me but definitely Kankuro and Temari would have trouble against her. I didn’t need her in the way or rather I couldn’t have her in the way.

“…Do not anger this child Gaara…” I groaned inwardly at the warning and finally noticed the cross look in Rin’s eyes.

“It’s cause I’m the Uchiha Princess isn’t it? You just think I’m some spoiled brat like everyone else!” I sighed lightly and shook my head.

“There are things about you that you don’t understand.”

“Oh and you do?” I met her gaze once more and noticed her step back slightly.

“…Gaara…leave her…” I heard his voice warn. I sighed and shook my head.

“It’s nothing. Kankuro, Temari lets go.” I walked off then leaving them.

“How do you know that girl?” Temari asked.

“She’s kind of cute.” Kankuro added. I sighed lightly.

“Leave her alone.”

“What?” I glanced at them.

“I said leave her alone.” They nodded and it became silent then. There was something special about Rin Uchiha, or rather something dark that not even she knew of and we didn’t need to make her aware of it.