L File #3 - Distance

The orphanage was massive. Many rooms welcomed you as you entered Wammy's house. This would now be your home.

L stared at it in awe, placing his thumb in his mouth. "___, L, I'll show you to the main playroom. There are many children your age there." Mr. Wammy smiled.

You nodded to his statement, L still staring around the orphanage. Mr. Wammy walked the two of you towards the playroom.

Inside of the playroom, numerous children your age smiled. As Mr. Wammy left you, the children grew closer and closer. "Let's cuddle them!" One proclaimed.

You froze at the idea of being touched by strangers. Even though they were children your age, you had never really liked hugs, or anything like that for that matter. You started quivering in fear. Another reason you feared to be touched was that in your first orphanage, the caretaker had hit you. This was inflicted upon many children.

You couldn't open your mouth to yell, "Stop!" no matter how hard you tried.

Suddenly, children right and left started to collapse. You turned to see L fighting all of the little children. The children started crying in pain. "I didn't want to be 'cuddled' either." L proclaimed.

At the sound of commotion, Rodger and Mr. Wammy burst into the playroom. "Not even an hour has passed, and they're already causing trouble..." Rodger sighed.

"Roger, you stay with the children. You two," Mr. Wammy had a solemn look on his face. "Please come with me."

You walked next to L down the barren hallway. Older children stared at you in confusion.

The three of you then arrived to Mr. Wammy's office. Disappointment was clear in his eyes, you could tell that early on he had thought highly of the two of you. "L, why did you hurt those children? What on earth did they do to you?" His expression and tone remained calm.

"What did they do to me?.. The children proclaimed 'Let's cuddle them!' which was uninvited by ___ and I. I don't like being touched, and I take it ___ doesn't, either..." His eyes gazed among an unknown picture.

"You could have simply told them 'no.' You didn't have to hurt them. ___, since you didn't do anything, please wait outside."

Following his orders, you led your small body outside. Being the little eavesdropper you were, you pressed your ear up to Mr. Wammy's door. Alas, his office was soundproof. 

Was this place going to be alright? Already, you were probably going to be blamed in the eyes of the other children with L. L had attacked them, and kids tend to seclude the odd man out. Considering the fact he didn't attack you, the children were probably going to seclude you as well. It would be like school was before, constant loneliness and seclusion.

After thinking about your current situation, L and Mr. Wammy walked out of the office. "I'll show you two to your rooms. Follow me, please."

Wammy's house was larger than you realized. There were many floors, even an elevator to accompany others. You and L had rooms on the highest floor, away from everyone else. You noticed earlier that Mr. Wammy had a room connected to his office. You were positive that he had security cameras around the building, but you knew it was only for protection. There were lots of children at Wammy's house, and it was his responsibility to protect them all.

"L here is your room." Mr. Wammy opened the door to a small room with a twin size bed. There was a small closet as well. "___, follow me to your room, please."

He led you two rooms down the hall. As he opened your door, he started explaining what went on between him and L. "L needs his own room to think. He doesn't get along with other children, except you. I discovered while reading files from previous orphanages that he has never gotten along with others. He's very introverted. The two of you have the top floor to yourselves; this is so that the both of you can learn on your own."

"Learn on our own?" You asked.

He nodded. "If you wish, you and L can take classes together, while being separated from the other children. You can see them if you wish, but if you would perform better without others like L, you may join his own schooling. He said it was alright with him, and Wammy's house has lots of tutors. Would you like to join him?"

You thought for a moment. This would be a great way to learn, you didn't get along with other children, either. You could if you wanted to, but you honestly preferred to work alone. "I'll join."

Mr. Wammy's smile increased. "That's great. The two of you will begin classes soon."