L File #4 - Isolation

January, 1987

You and L had begun your classes together that week. The two of you were taking courses high above the average children in  your age group; which proved to Mr. Wammy and Roger that the two of you were child prodigies. The both of you always earned the highest marks possible, advancing you further along.

Because of this, you guys were able to start taking certain criminal justice courses very early throughout childhood. On the side, you began tampering with some of the computers in Wammy's house. You were making your own programs, searching the web, hacking, and much more. You were only seven years old.

L tampered with the computers as well, but you noticed he looked upon your tricks of the trade. You spent all of your free time in the Wammy house library. There were a few computers, but you had modified all of them to work as quickly as possible. After you touched a computer; no way on earth would a virus be able to penetrate the system. You had even started writing down ways to program your own computer, which was something you desperately wanted to do in your future.

L approached Mr. Wammy. "Wammy, a computer would give me power; perhaps you could get me one?" This was rather presumptuous of the young buy to ask, since computers were still very expensive at the time.

Mr. Wammy couldn't say no to L. "I'll get one soon."

"Oh, and can you get one for ___, too? She is very skilled with technology, so I think it would be best if you got the both of us computers."

Mr. Wammy had a shocked look on his face. "Since you two have the highest marks here, I guess it is alright to give you prizes such as these." He walked to his office.

L grabbed your sleeve. "Show me your programming files."

"They're in my room." He dragged you to your own room, the excitement for the computers building. Once the two of you arrived inside the room, you dashed to your bed. Underneath the sheets laid a notebook stuffed to the brim with notes. You gave the notebook to L, though he practically ripped it from your grip.

"Interesting. It's amazing how you did this for yourself." He flipped through the pages, a thumb and index finger clutching the notebook. "Would you set my computer up once it arrives?"

You blushed. "S-Sure."

He smiled. "Thank you."

*****************************************************************************************************

The computers arrived about a week later.

To your nature, you spent numerous hours on the computer. You had time to build more programs; causing the computer to have many icons available.

L was fascinated by your happiness. He was glad that he had suggested to Mr. Wammy about getting the both of you computers. You were on it all of your spare time. L also enjoyed his computer; that is after you installed and programmed everything.

The two of you constantly sat in front of the computer. There were points where neither of you would move for a day or two, for the two of you stayed in the same place. Mr. Wammy became concerned for your health; considering the fact you and L were already as skinny as a pole.

Being around the computer this much caused you to forget to eat often. L, on the other hand, chugged sweets down quickly. You were an odd pair.        

Would it be like this for the rest of your lives?