L File #11 - Circumstances

Early February, 1998

L had been getting closer and closer on two certain cases. More than ten victims and a million dollars had been at stake with both. "I promise you, ___, we will get married once I solve these two cases." He pulled up a list of victims and suspects using a program that you had created long ago. "By the way...how are B and A doing? Has the new kid, Mello, been causing too much trouble?"

"A is shaky and suicidal. B has been trying to help him through it, but A is becoming a danger to himself." You paused, looking at the papers in your hand. "Do you think A is most likely going to be your successor?"

L sighed as he stirred his sugar in his tea. "Honestly, A and B are prototypes that will most likely be susceptible to failure."

You didn't like that L was testing the children, sacrificing their young lives for his role. But you understood how intelligent and able you had to be, so you didn't say anything. "Mello is very intelligent for his age."

"All of the children are. Mello may be considered later." He moved the cases that he was working on to another computer to show you the list of potential successors. Mello would be a "fourth generation" successor, if it was absolutely necessary. "Back to the case at hand, I need you to do some snooping."

"For which case?"

"Both, if you are able to."

You nodded as he went on. "While you are investigating on site, I will be here, operating these cases and battling with your competitors."

"Eraldo Coil and Deneuve? Are they really giving you that much trouble?" You showed worry in your eyes.

"They also want to capture the connie and the thief. I need these two for future cases. With your help and my motivation, we will be able to catch them before Coil or Deneuve can wipe the sweat off their faces."

You laughed. "Knowing you, you have already discovered their identities?"

He nodded. "I have so much information ahead of them that the two have teamed up. But, they will go against each other for all three detectives' names."

You pulled out your laptop. "Okay, so I need to spy on the suspects. Am I supposed to be wealthy?"

"Yes. You will wear very expensive clothing to the con man's next target. I have deduced that it will be in Paris, France." He stacked his sugar cubes upon each other. "Watari has packed your bags. You leave in an hour."

Watari drove you to the airport as you inserted the earpiece. L's monotone voice was heard in your left ear. "___? Can you hear me?"

"Yes."

"Hmm?" Watari spoke.

"Oh. Sorry, Watari. L is communicating through the earpiece." You blushed, for you had revealed your cover!

Watari laughed. "Just remember not to do that when you're on site. Continue."

"Right. L, who am I on this mission?" You looked into the very expensive purse that had been purchased recently.

"The information is inside your bag." L's voice echoed.

Reaching inside, you saw that your driver's license showed the name "Mademoiselle Blanche", which you determined was French. Many expensive things laid inside the bag, showing how important this case was to L. He usually didn't go this far in disguises, unless it was absolutely necessary. Watari dropped you off at the airport.

"I will be calling you agent 2476 for this mission. I suppose you know why..."

To protect my identity. You chose not to respond since you were already in the airport. Closely eyeing everyone, you remembered that your suspects would eventually be at the event in Paris. They had to be mighty rich to go there, as did you. The airport was rather modern and clean, security seemed safe as well.