Apparently We Run

Hello world! I'm alive, if you care at this point. Sorry about that one. Anywho...we finally got a topic for writing club! And I don't know what week it is anymore but that's okay! Yep, yep...okay story. So after I complete Lightning Bug there will be a new story, followed by a spin off. But that new story is to be called Bad Boys. It's loosely based off the song Bad Boys by Inner Circle. Anyway, if your interested read it when it is released. (Hey! It's released and up in my profile now! Though I doubt anyone is still stumbling upon this old thing) But this is a scene in the perceptive of Kyle. It is actually the opening scene of the book and then I will skip a few weeks forward to when Kyle and his buddies meet up again with Kayla. But in case you didn't get it already, Kyle and his buddies are bad boys and Kayla is the good girl, but not really all that good of a good girl.

The sound of music pounding through the air echoes inside my head. The colors of the lights are swirling around in the most obscure way. But I don't mind. I'm perfectly content sitting here on the grass and watching the stars, with the smoke floating up and disappearing into the clouds. I hear screaming in the distance but it's easy to ignore. Out of the corner of my eye I see a girl with blond hair and a red sundress on stomp over next to where we are. She stops and stands there, glaring into space. Then she tips her red solo cup back and downs it's contents. I raise an eyebrow as I turn my head towards her. She looks so familiar but I can't quite place where I've seen her. She glances over at me and offers a half hearted smile, but it's obviously forced. I sit up and look at her. I know I'm staring like a creep but with the drugs in my system I don't think much about it. She flops down on the ground and turns to face me.

"Can I help you?" she asks. I simply shake my head slowly and continue staring. Her eyes dart to the bottle of beer sitting next to me on the grass and she extends her cup out looking at me hopefully. This girl trusts people far too easily. Doesn't she think about it being drugged? I didn't drug the beer though. I grab it and poor some into her cup. "Thanks," she mutters before taking a small sip.

"Do I know you?" I blurt, knowing it's the drugs talking not me. She throws her head back and laughs.

"No, I don't think so. I'm practically invisible. No one's ever given me a second glance, aside from Lynara that is. I guess you could call us outcasts. But the second you show up to a party in an innocent sundress every drunk guys wants his hands on you," she says.

"Oh," I reply stupidly.

"What are you doing out here in the corner?" she asks. Is this chick an idiot? Can she not see the pot behind me? I shrug in response. "You don't talk much do you? I had a friend when I was little who was the same way. He never once said a word to anyone else in the house," she says. Wait, house? What does she mean by that? Unless...I look at her eyes and find them to be a pale, baby blue. And suddenly I'm seeing a little girl in the foster house looking up at me with those same baby blues only the girl in the foster house has eyes full of tears.

Then the sirens cut through the air in a piercing, skull splitting scream. I jump up on instinct and the other guys quickly scramble to their feet as well. None of us bother to pick up our stuff, we just leave it there and sprint to the woods at the edge of the yard. Once we reach to trees we slow down our pace. I look back once and see the cop cars with their blue lights flashing and the girl with the baby blues and red sundress being placed in cuffs.

                                  ***
The air horn blares into my ear. I jump up three feet in the air and swing my arm to whack Brody upside the head.