Being a Half Blood

This is a world where two kinds of people live. There are the vampires who suck blood for power and life, and there are the humans who have learned magic to prevent that from happening. Oddly enough, vampires can't practice magic or it could kill them but they do have one or two certain special abilities they gain by drinking blood.

It is harsh being on either side but imagine being in the middle. You are hated by both sides having no where to go. You are the unwanted child. The bringer of misfortune.

That is where I stand. I am the only one of my kind. There is no place meant for me and I am doomed talk walk a lonesome path.

But let me start from the very beginning. Before I knew I was anything more than a simple human, before I knew I was a monster of my own kind.

~Chapter 1: Being a Half Blood~

Today started off just like any other. I, Aidan Steel, was walking in the park wondering why there wasn't much feeling to my boring life.

As I stopped and looked at the trees, which trembled in the wind, and the lake, which shimmered in the sun, I still couldn't help but feel like everything was out of color.

Everything felt so simple around me. Even at school, the fun in learning magic had long passed.

We are warned about blood sucking monsters but I have yet to see one.

When will this boring feeling pass? Dying seems a lot more entertaining. Everything is always calm, it's scary. Everyone keeps to themselves and are well behaved. Here, there is hardly anything fun to do. Walking around is not even amusing anymore.

I searched for a quiet place to sit so that I could read my book, one that I had read many times.

Each time I read it, I understood it more and more to the point where there was nothing I didn't know about it. To be honest, I didn't really like reading, but this book was the only one I felt like I could read forever and never get bored of it. But as time passed, I realized that I was wrong. It's only a matter of time until you lose interest in something that you once loved.

I looked up at the sky only to find that the sun was already beginning to set. I looked down at my watch to check the time, deciding if I should go home or not.

It was already 6 and the sun was rapidly going down. I quickly got up to leave since I had to be home by 6:30. 6:30 May seem early, but once the sun goes down, the streets are owned by the vampires.

I found my way out of the park, constantly checking the time and the sun. At the rate I was going, it was no surprise that I ended up walking in the dark.

On my way home it I kept getting an eerie feel with the sound of harsh winds blowing through the trees that once whispered and now screamed.

Nobody was outside and it reminded me of a horror film I had watched a few days ago. Walking the streets alone at night certainly wasn't nice at all. The street lamps were dim and some of them flickered on and off.

There are only a few people who go outside at night, so walking home was really dangerous. But nothing really ever happened. That was what I thought until I heard a scream.

At first I thought that it was just my imagination, I mean what were really the chances of something happening right then?

There was another scream but this time it was more of a high pitch cry for help that was abruptly stopped by a deadly silence.

It sounded like it came from just up a head. I wondered if I should keep on walking or take another way.

It's obvious I should've taken another way because in horror movies, things never turn out well if you walk towards the sound, but I couldn't take another way, it would take too long and I was already close to home.