Connecting Dots

"I think I'm going to go find Clementine and go to my room," I said lightly, feeling awkward with the atmosphere.

"I'll go with you," Luke, the longer haired one said with an easy smile.

I didn't have a clue where the guest room was so I nodded mutely and grabbed my bag. He grabbed my other one and I was following him out of the room when I felt the letter in my pocket.

"Wait," I turned and walked over to the Owen guy, handing him the crumpled paper.

He took it and his eyebrows furrowed, "What's this?" his voice was tight, like he was trying desperately to restrain himself from saying something, or letting something slip into his voice.

These guys are weird.

"Doctor Roberts said to give this to you."

Owen, Mr. Blackbourne, whatever, looked up at me with a slight smile, "Did you already open this?"

I shrugged, feeling unashamed, "That may or may not have been opened without permission."

He shook his head and opened it up. I watched him while he read it, hoping to get some sort of clue as to who was after me and why Doctor Roberts thought I would be safe here with a bunch of guys. His jaw locked and he looked furious.

The look was gone in the next blink and he passed the letter to Kota. I looked at Owen curiously, but he wasn't meeting my eyes. Instead he was looking over my head at Luke, having some sort of silent conversation that I wish I could understand.

"Come on sweetheart, let's go find your bed and jump on it," Luke said, cheerfully as he lead me out of the room.

****

Clementine was dusting off a snow globe when Luke lead me into the room. I could tell the room hadn't been used in forever, well at least several months. It was painted a pale pink with a beautiful white swirling design of blooming flowers and vines on the far wall that lead to a balcony.

I set my bag down on a rocking chair that sat next to a closet and crossed my arms over my belly, taking it all in. This was my new room for however long. It was a little too girly for my tastes, I think.

"If you don't like the decor we can always change it," I turned to look at Luke who was already watching me. "Gabriel would love any excuse to redecorate."

I looked around the room, remembering how Clementine had said this was a guest room, "Well why hasn't he before? I mean the artwork on the wall is gorgeous, but the wall color seems a little... feminine for a house full of boys?"

Luke smiled wistfully, like this conversation was just unreal. It was Clementine who replied though.

"This is one of four guestrooms, I wasn't sure how long you'd be staying. They don't use this one very often- it used to belong to someone special," she said, turning and glaring at Luke, "I'm surprised he even thought I meant this room. It hasn't been used in.. months," she turned her gaze to me, it softening a few degrees but I could still see the stoney hardness they could become.

This was all feeling a little too weird for me.

"I don't have to be in this one if it's sentimental for you guys... I don't mind a different room. You probably wouldn't want me messing with it either.."

Clementine nodded softly at my words and looked at Luke, tilting her head in a way that dared him to relocate me to a different bedroom. I could tell he was uncomfortable, and the amount of unsaid conversations were starting to drive me insane.

"Look can you guys stop acting weird?"

The both snapped their attention to me. Luke's cheeks had gone pink and Clementine had the decency to look slightly ashamed at their bickering and eye challenges.

"Sorry, I'm just trying to piece some stuff together."

"Like what?" I asked her.

She kept her eyes off of Luke as she answered me, "What you'd be comfortable with of course. I mean my room is right across the hall, so I'm available if you need anything at all..."

She was lying. I wasn't sure exactly about what but I knew she was lying and something about this whole place made my head hurt. What's going on here? I was so drained from the day's events that I didn't have the energy to beat it out of these two strangers.

"So! Sang, what's your story?" Clementine sat on the edge of the bed and looked at me expectantly.

"Actually Clem, I think Sang probably just wants to rest. Let's save questions for dinner, later."

Clementine made a face at him but nodded, "Sure sure, sorry Sang. I guess I'm just soo excited to have another girl in the house. I'm sure the guys will love having you here... as temporary as it may be," The last part sounded a little sad, but I could feel the underlying cut.

Luke flinched a little as well, so I knew I wasn't imagining things.

When they both left I flopped back onto the bed and stared up at the ceiling. This had all gone terribly wrong. As I lay there thinking I rubbed my belly absently, thinking about the little life I'd be able to hold in my arms in about two months.

I rolled over onto my side and made a face, sleeping with a child in your stomach wasn't the most comfortable thing in the world, but I made do most nights.

I was half asleep, staring at the wall when I heard Owen's voice.

"Miss Sorenson is asleep, yes? We need to have a family meeting."

I rolled over, closing my eyes. A few seconds later they snapped open and I recalled my meeting with all of them. After a second I sat up and glanced over at the door where his voice was fading as he walked away. That was the second time he'd called me Miss Sorenson.

I'd never said my last name to this man in my life, and judging by their reactions Doctor Roberts hadn't told them I was coming. They acted as if this was the first time we'd met, like they'd never heard my name in their lives.

I pressed a hand to my forehead. Something was off about this place, and I had a feeling they knew a lot more than they let on. I slid off of the bed very slowly, in case it decided to creak and alert everyone that I wasn't actually asleep. It didn't. After a few beats I let myself stand and walk over towards the door. I paused halfway and glanced at the swirling design on the far wall.

There was a nagging feeling at the back of my skull, and I walked over towards it instead. It took a few seconds, but I found the small latch within the detailed painting. It was placed in such a way that I think you had to know it was there in order to find it. I pressed two fingers into the latch, and part of the wall swung inwards, showing me a hidden passageway.

After I closed the doorway I realized I would need to find my way back to my door, and I had to go inside again to find something worthy of being my makeshift breadcrumbs. It didn't take long to find a bowl of little glass pebbles. And then I was on my way, taking lefts and rights until I was standing next to a vent that lead to a meeting room. It was just big enough for me to see through, and the voices carried well.

I placed a hand over my mouth, afraid they'd all hear me breathing and know I was spying on them.

The boy, Kota, sat down at the head of the table.

"Alright, family meeting is in session. I'm sure you all know what this is about, but Clementine, I think it's time you know the truth."

Clementine was seated right next to Gabriel, on the left of Nathan. She leaned her elbows on the table and frowned at him, "I'm pretty sure I already know. How about you start with that note she gave to Mr. B, and go from there."