Chapter Seven.

With quiet thinking, Derek locked the basement door. He could hear guns being loaded on the other side. "What the fuck?" He whispered, running to Kirsten.

"They have guns-" "Guns?!" Kirsten yelled quietly, feeling her heart drop to her stomach. Tears quickly gathered in her eyes.

"We gotta get outta here," Derek paused, looking around. "Here, this window. I'll help you up." He waved her over, leaning down. He pulled her up on his shoulders with ease.

She struggled to get the small, dirty window open, but she pulled herself up and slipped out easily. Derek followed out behind her, hearing the basement door being kicked in and Nate's voice yell after them.

"You won't take her from me, you bastard!" He chuckled, throwing things to the floor. Sam and Jack followed Nate, throwing things, also.

"Here, follow me." Derek took Kirsten by the hand, and they both retreated into the woods. They were running together, Nate, Sam, and Jack close behind them.

"Kirsten, you better get your ass back here!" Nate called angrily, letting a single bullet ring out from the barrel of his gun. Kirsten started to slow down, but Derek pushed her on.

"We can't stop-" Before Derek Luh could complete his statement, Sam stood in front of them both. They tried turning around, only to be stopped by Jack.

Kirsten began to panic, her breathing turning to wheezing. Derek caught her as she stumbled backwards. "Aw, little girl can't handle it?" Sam joked as the anger inside Derek was building up.

"You know this ain't right. You gotta let her go, man." He tried to defend her the best he could against his "friends" pointing guns at him.

"Stop your bitching," Nate hissed. "I ain't lettin' her go, so hand her over." He wasn't sure what to do, and his mind wasn't right at the moment.

Without thinking, Derek grabbed Kirsten, who was frozen with fear, and shoved by Jack. More gun shots rang out as he knocked Jack to the cold, damp ground.

Derek ran by, and felt a stinging in his arm. Kirsten's feet could barely support her as she stumbled behind him, her hand in his.

Somehow, they lost Sam and Nate who probably stayed behind to help the injured Jack. With a sigh of relief, Derek spoke to Kirsten saying "We finally lost 'em.."

8