Chapter Eleven.

At this moment, Kirsten remembered the pocket knife. She moved him off of her just long enough to reach into her back pocket to retrieve it.

She flipped it open, and without a second thought, she jabbed the rigid egde into Nate's throat. He dropped to his knees, yelling in pain.

His yells were covered by the blood now spewing from his punctured vein. She just killed a man, and she was looking for none other than Derek Luh.

The man who saved her life. Without him, she would still be chained up in a basement. Without him, she certainly wouldn't be alive. She owed him, big time.

If he were alive. The same gunshots that resignated earlier replay over and over in her mind. Was Derek really gone? She ran, and the tears she was crying were pushed back by the wind.

The sun started to peek through the very few clouds that were outside, glowing bright against her chocolate skin. The warmth made her want to smile, but she wouldn't until she found Derek.

In the distance, she could see Derek and Sam laid out on the rotten, soggy leaves. Sam had a single gunshot to the head, although other bullets lay around.

"Derek! Derek, get up!" Kirsten put her ear to his mouth, listening for the slightest sign of air entering and leaving his lungs. Luckily, there was.

She sighed, wrapping her arms around him to help him up. "Thank God. We gotta get you to a hospital." Her words were full of relief as a small smile played on his lips.

"Thank you, Mami."

12