Thirteen || Drama Queen

||

"It was a controlled mission, Tony."

"I don't care, Maria! It wasn't safe. You could have at least told me," ranted Tony as he paced.

Macy sat reclined on the leather sofa outside of Hill's office, her head tilted towards the half open door. She sat with one leg pulled up to her chest as she was angled to the left.

"She's a trained Avenger-"

"She's a teenage girl," Tony interrupted with a flailed arm. "And you put her in close quarters with a known Hydra operative who's killed multiple, multiple people."

Hill's tone hardened, "She chose to do it, I never forced her. She handled it professionally and we have ten times the intel than we did before."

"That doesn't mean you should have allowed her to go off by herself! We had her covered in the open, public place to meet with Ward. The way she spoke, she sounded like she really was with them and she got rid of every enforcement she had."

"She had her suit. She had more fire power than Ward could've hidden on his person."

"She wasn't-"

"Ready?" Maria asked sharply. "She is, Stark. I get that you're her guardian and that you two have bonded, but you can't treat her like she's incapable. She'll be eighteen this weekend and not to mention she's been training her ass off for weeks. She earned it, Tony."

"Spying?"

Macy looked over, pulling her focus from the conversation in Hill's office. She lightly smiled at Bruce, but it faded. "I wouldn't call it spying."

"Eavesdropping, then?" Banner pocketed his hands in his slacks before giving a soft nod. "Walk?"

Macy stood, in a Captain America symbol tee and skinny jeans. She joined Banner, following him up a floor to the lounge the Avengers frequented.

Bruce walked with Macy at the window, leaning his palms on the railing. "So, Tony's upset about England."

"Yeah, he's pulled a full on Dad right now," Macy replied as she copied Bruce and leaned on the railing. "Hill's not really letting him get away with it."

"She's about as much of a hard ass as Stark," offered Bruce.

"Oh, I believe it." Macy was quiet for a moment after, her eyes on the afternoon view of New York. "Do you remember them, my parents?"

Bruce thought of the convention over a year before, causing him to give a soft nod. "A little."

"I thought my love of science was my own," she told him. "Instead it seems to be in my genes."

"Your parents were both scientists for Hydra, weren't they?" Banner asked as he glanced over.

"They never acted like they had much knowledge. They stopped keeping up by the time I was six."

Bruce felt sorry for her, unsure if he would have taken such a revelation so well. "They played you, Macy. It's not your fault. It's not your fault you didn't know."

"Did you know there was a whole file in Hydra's database just for my family? My grandfather, parents, brother. They, they weren't who I thought they were." Macy leaned, resting her forearms on the metal. "They controlled the UK's branch of Hydra. On weekends, my mother went to Poland, to that warehouse we found the first picture of me in. Her constant business trips were to a place called Sokovia, where she led a classified experimentation."

"Sokovia?" Banner asked with a lifted eyebrow. "That small country in Eastern Europe?"

"I don't know why they chose there, but they did." Macy moved on beside herself. "My father worked for an important bank, but the file said it was actually London HQ for Hydra. Now I know why he never let me go to work with him."