Fourteen || The Legality of It

||

With hair askew and tangled in sheets, the heavy sleeper in Macy was showing itself as Tony tried to wake her up.

"How the hell do you sleep this hard?" asked Tony, who was decked in a Black Sabbath shirt, jeans and a blazer. He pulled the pillow from under Macy's face - the teen sleeping on her stomach - and smacked the pillow against her body. "God damn, kid."

Macy groaned, still keeping her face buried in her bed. "I'm not a kid anymore," she mumbled.

"Is the birthday girl still sleeping?"

Tony looked over his shoulder, a neatly dressed Pepper walking into the bedroom with two to-go coffee cups. "Yeah, she won't get her lazy ass out of bed."

Pepper moved a coffee out of reach from Tony as he went for it, "This isn't for you." She sipped out of her own and idly held the other. "Mace, I grabbed coffee from the shop in SoHo that you like."

Macy lifted her head, looking over to Pepper.

Tony scoffed, "I don't know why I even bother."

Macy rolled over in bed, sitting up enough to take the coffee cup. She sipped on it lightly, still drowsy. "So, what's my present? That I get to sleep in longer?"

"Nope, you've gotta get up," announced Pepper. "We're going out to breakfast and then shopping."

"And then signing a bunch of paperwork," Macy grudgingly said as she started to maneuver out of bed. "Give me fifteen, at most."

Pepper took Tony with her, leaving the room in silence.

Macy set her coffee to the side on her table, letting go of a soft sigh. She didn't feel like she had on her other birthdays; she just felt a little empty.

The newly eighteen year old went into her closet, thumbing through her clothes. "Hey F.R.I.D.A.Y.? Could you play my morning playlist?"

"Of course, Lady Moore."

As the upbeat music began playing through her room speakers, Macy changed into black skinny jeans and a maroon cut out shoulder top before putting on black ankle boots. She did a double take in the mirror, still unsettled by the arc reactor in her chest.

Macy took in a deep breath, closing her eyes briefly as she let it out. "You're fine, Macy." Opening her eyes again, she left her closet and took a seat at her vanity. She took a little time to put on makeup, ruffling out the tangles from her hair.

Upstairs, Pepper leafed through sets of papers in Tony's office. "Maybe we shouldn't make her do this until tomorrow."

"Not much of a happy birthday, is it?" Macy lingered by the doorway, her arms folded over her chest. "It's fine," she assured as she slipped her phone into her shoulder bag. "I knew it was coming."

"Where do you want to go for breakfast?" asked Tony as he walked away from the large file sent in from a group of lawyers centred in London.

"Any place," Macy offered with an impartial shrug. "If it's got food, I'm in. Vegetarian friendly, at least but breakfast isn't too hard with that."

"Tree hugger," Tony jokingly coughed as he headed towards the elevator.

"Well, you're lucky we have a place in mind," said Pepper as she put an arm around Macy as the two joined Tony in the elevator. "And it my involve taking a plane."

||

Nearly finished with a half hour journey, Macy sat among Tony and Pepper in the Stark private jet high above North America.