Chapter Sixteen

Chapter Sixteen 

It had to be Zayn who broke in and attacked me. Who else? There was always something off about him. Of all people, it made the most sense. He seemed like he had it out for me. Especially now that I had almost squealed to Liam.

Liam had been trying to get me to finish telling him what I was on about earlier, but I refused. It got to the point where I had to curl up in the fetal position with my hands over my ears to finally allow Liam to get the message - I couldn't tell him. He left me alone for a little while, long enough that I was able to calm down.

I stepped into the kitchen where Liam was sitting with a coffee, staring into the distance with furrowed eyebrows. I sat beside him cautiously, my hands shaking slightly. "L-Liam..."

"He touched you, didn't he?" Liam growled.

This threw me off. "W-what?"

"Zayn touched you and threatened you. And that is why you're terrified of him and wouldn't tell me, because he was around. And he said something to you when he said goodbye. I saw your face, so don't deny it. You were scared," he hissed.

Tears involuntarily filled my eyes. "D-do... Do you believe me? He said you wouldn't. That you'd think I was making it up to tear your friends apart," I whimpered. "I wouldn't lie about this, I promise. Please believe me-"

Liam wrapped an arm around my back, hauling me into his lap. I buried my face into his neck and relaxed into his embrace. "It wouldn't be the first time. Of course I believe you. I'd believe you any day over that dickwad, kitten."

The tears I'd been holding back flowed from my eyes and onto his warm skin. "H-he told me you wouldn't."

"Don't cry, okay, gorgeous?" He hummed, stroking my back gently. "I promise I won't allow him around you ever again, as long as you promise to come straight to me if this happens again."

I bobbed my head obediently, before hugging him tighter.

<>

Liam got a call later, and by the immediate scowl that grew on his face I knew it was Zayn. Liam took a seat next to me on the couch, reaching out for me. I tentatively crawled into his lap, just in time to hear Zayn invite the two of us to a club with him.

"You aren't going to be around my girl anymore," Liam said darkly.

Zayn laughed loudly. "What? You believe anything that comes out of her mouth? She's just trying to find a way to get away from you. Arianne is a lying little-"

"What about Leslie?" Liam snapped. Leslie? I'd never heard of her. Had I? She must've been Liam's last girlfriend. Maybe even before I first got here. And Zayn must've messed with her.

"She was just a whore," Zayn said simply.

Liam's whole body went rigid, vibrating with the need to beat the living crap out of his old friend. I looked up at him worriedly and his face softened immediately, his free hand stroking through my hair. "I swear if I see you within fifty feet of Ari, I will kill you." He then roughly hung up his phone and tossed it onto the floor. "Besides... We have a show tonight," he hummed.

I pressed my face into his shirt. "I thought it was only a one-time thing," I grumbled. "I can't sing, remember?"

"You sing just fine. It's just one song."

"Are you going to turn my microphone up again?" I asked, pouting at him.

He pinched my sides playfully, grinning innocently. "If you keep singing so quietly I will. But as long as you're loud enough, we won't have a problem."

<>

After yet another embarrassing performance, Liam surprised me by taking me out. I thought he'd take me to like a simple casual restaurant, but no. We guided me into the fanciest one in town. It was five stars and crazy expensive.

"Liam..." I gasped when they lead us to a secluded table in the back.

"Don't. I wanted to do this for you. After everything... I want to give back to you, make you happy."

My heart stung a little bit, and I hugged him tightly. For tonight, maybe just tonight, I could forget everything he'd forced me into over the past couple weeks, and let him pamper me, take care of me. On the table was a bouquet of white roses, and a little jewelry box. My face felt hot as I realized he'd had this planned for a long time.

"Liam..." I said again. He pulled out a chair for me and pushed it back in when I sat down. "Surely all of this isn't for me."

He smiled sheepishly. "I'd be lying if I said that I'm not feeling guilty about the whole thing with Zayn. Hopefully these will help the healing time."

I touched the navy velvet box tentatively, smiling broadly. "Can I open it now?" When he nodded, I giggled nervously. "If this is you proposing, I'm going to have to decline."

"It's not. Just open it."

My fingers parted the box, revealing a silver chain with a small pendant wrapped in a band of silver. Around the band was a simple, cursive phrase. "You are my once." Which at first seemed silly, but the more I looked at it, the more I loved it. Especially the small gem inside that I had once told him was my favorite. Somehow he had remembered.

"Light amethyst. You remember?" I whispered in awe.

He smiled softly. "Of course. I don't know if you remember, but for the first few weeks you were with me, I'd sing Falling Slowly to you while you were having nightmares."

"Liam..." I said for the hundredth time. "It's so pretty. I... Is it real?"

He nodded, beaming proudly. "Put it on." I didn't waste a moment in locking the necklace into place, the pendant falling right between my collarbones. "I could make you happy, Arianne. I hope you know that."