Chapter Two

"No pa." Elizabeth said for the thousandth time as she sat in her bedroom in the pink dress while running a brush through her hair.

"You haven't him given him a chance Elizabeth." Ernest McCready replied with frustration.

"I gave him all the chance I needed to give him. I'm not interested." Elizabeth stated. She stood up and Ernest grumbled under his breath and walked over to the door.

"I'm not going to be around much longer." he said sadly and as if to emphasize his point a fit of coughing struck him and left him gasping for breath as it subsided. Elizabeth frowned and felt tears prickling her eyes. She blinked them away and shook her head.

"You're too ornery to die pa. You'll outlive me." Ernest shook his head.

"I don't have a whole lot more time. I'd like to know that my daughter is married and has someone to take care of her once I'm gone." Elizabeth sighed and flopped back down on the bed, this was a discussion she and her father had a lot.

"I don't need anyone to take care of me pa. I can take care of myself and this ranch just fine and you know it. The last thing I need is some city man who doesn't know a stallion from a mare." Ernest laughed at his daughter.

"Even a blind man could tell the difference between a stallion and a mare sweetheart. Grant Foster is a good man. He's got influence in the government, he's rich…."

"I don't care about influence and money pa. I want to marry a man one day who makes me feel like I'm the only woman in the world.. I want to marry a man who truly loves me the way you loved mama." Ernest sighed and pulled off his hat to rub his gray, balding head.

"You don't know that Grant couldn't give you that. You have to give him a chance." Elizabeth sighed but stood her ground.

"Pa, I am not interested in Grant Foster." But she came by her stubborn nature honestly and her father squared his shoulders.

"You are my daughter and you will do as I say. Grant is coming back out tomorrow and you will spend more time with him." The pair glared at each other for several long moments before Elizabeth finally nodded. Her father's harsh breathing causing her to feel a little more sympathy for his argument.

"Fine." she said. "I'll spend time with him tomorrow." Ernest nodded and smiled, happy at his victory.

"Thank you." he said. He walked out and closed the door.

"But I'm not getting all gussied up again!" she yelled, determined to have the last word. She stood up and curled her nose at the sight of her dress in the mirror. She reached behind to unbutton it, only to realize she couldn't do it on her own.

"Damn dresses!" she cursed. She walked over to her bedroom door and opened it. She poked her head out in the hallway and called for Anita before walking back in her room. She hated feeling helpless and that's exactly how this silky contraption on her body made her feel. Helpless.

"What is it Elizabeth? I'm trying to get supper on the table for you and your pa."

"I need help undoing this damn dress." Elizabeth grumbled.

"Watch your language." Anita scolded as she set about undoing the buttons with quick practiced ease. She had done this nightly when Elizabeth's mother had been alive.

"I gotta get my clothes back on and get out there and work."

"The men are done with the branding, Cookie is making them all supper and they're fixing to call it a night. There's nothing else for you to do out there today. You should just put some clothes on and spend some time with you father."