Chapter twenty-seven

Chapter Twenty-Seven

Brody stopped in Harmony before heading to the farm. He needed a change of clothes, a shave and a trim before he visited his family. If they saw him looking like he did right now they'd be scared to death of him.

He was nervous as hell about going home after being gone for so long but he had no where else to go. He couldn't go back to that ranch alone and live there. If Jacob and his sisters wouldn't come then he would transfer the ranch into LeRoy's name and let that pain in the ass take it over.

Brody went to the tailors shop first. It was still being run by that old grouchy woman, Victoria. As Brody picked out a new pair of pants and a shirt, he was thankful that she didn't seem to recognize him. She let him use the backroom to get dressed and he walked out of the place feeling much cleaner. Not better, no, he'd never feel better again, but at least his clothes weren't stiff and crusty now.

He went down to a building boasting of hot baths, haircuts and shaves and he paid for all of them. The hot water felt good to his aching leg and shoulder. He pulled his clean clothes back on and then walked into the main part of the building, made to resemble a fancy man's sitting room.

"Haircut and shave," he said as he sat down in a chair and a red headed woman, with big hips and dark freckles walked toward him.

"Yes sir," she replied with a grin. "How short am I cutting ya?"

"Just about an inch."

"You sure? This hair will still hang nearly to your shoulders."

"I'm sure," he grunted.

She shrugged and went about cutting his hair and then shave his face. He was standing up and preparing to leave when she gasped and covered her mouth, "Brody Atkinson?" she demanded.

Brody raised his brow and looked down at her, "Do I know you?" She put her hands on her large hips and huffed out a breath, "How little a man's first kiss means to him."

Brody suddenly recognized her and he nodded, "Peggy," he said simply.

"You could at least smile and look happy to see me," she scolded.

"I don't smile much anymore, ma'am." he apologized as he put his hat on. "If you'll excuse...."

"Brody, everybody thinks your dead. That woman that's living with Jacob told us that you were dead."

Brody froze, "What woman?"

Peggy tapped her dimpled chin with her finger and sighed, "I can't remember her name. Sad woman. She doesn't smile much either come to think of it. She says she's your wife. She drives Victoria crazy because she insists on wearing pants and men's shirts...." Peggy stopped talking as Brody ran from the building. She stared at his broad back and wondered what had gotten into him.

Brody ran faster then he'd ever run in his life, ignoring the pain in his leg and the way the cold air made his lungs burn. He jumped on his horse and urged the beast into his fastest gallop, not caring if he winded him.

Could Elizabeth be alive? Had she somehow made it to Virginia and to his family? He was afraid to hope... Afraid to believe.. Was it possible that God had not forsaken Brody, despite all the wrong he'd done the past six months?

He grew impatient as he urged the horse faster. He didn't remember the ride from town to the house being this long. He saw chimney smoke in the distance and urged the horse faster still. The horse was panting and foamy froth covered his withers when Brody finally pulled up sharply on the reigns and stopped in front of the house.