Chapter Fifteen

Chapter Fifteen

"I'm telling you right now that Brody didn't kidnap that woman! If they left together it was because she wanted to go with him. Hell we don't even know for sure that they left together. Maybe Brody just rode on out of here, he didn't seem like the kind that sticks to one place too long and maybe somebody else took Miss McCready." Thomas said as the hands, except for Braxton who hadn't made it back from town yet, sat in the bunkhouse.

"You been singing Brody's praises since the man came to the ranch," Frank said as he whittled at a stick with his knife. "You sweet on the man or something?"

Thomas sat up straight on his bed and squared his shoulder, "Hell no. I ain't the type of man that gets sweet on another man." he spat defensively. "But he ain't a kidnapper the way Grant keeps preaching to the boss."

"I always liked the man. He was the only one of you young bastards that would eat my cooking without complaining," Cookie grumbled as he sat on his bed, leaned against the wall, with his legs stretched out and crossed. He had one of the ranch dogs sitting on the bed with him and was scratching the mutts ears.

"Something isn't right about all of this," Thomas insisted as he relaxed against the wall once again. "I think somebody on the ranch had something to do with their disappearances. Hell all of Brody's stuff is still here," he added, nodding over at Brody's empty bed and the bag sticking out from underneath it.

"Who the hell would have wanted something to happen to Miss McCready? I mean sure she might be the ice queen, slave driver but I sure as hell didn't do nothing to her," Wendell said from where he lay on his bed with his arms crossed over his face.

"I've heard some things," Thomas admitted. "Unless Miss McCready marries Grant, someone else gets this ranch. Somebody that the boss trusts. Now I ain't heard no names but there's only one man that's been here since the boss started this ranch and that's Braxton."

"Quit talking about stuff you don't know nothing about." Braxton's voice came from the bunkhouse door and Thomas turned and grinned like a cat caught in the cream.

"Where ya been Braxton?" Frank asked.

"Town. Looking for any sign of Elizabeth. Couldn't find any of course," Braxton replied as he took off his gun belt and tossed it on the table beside Thomas, the two of them bunked side by side.

"That's funny because Thomas here seems to think you had Miss McCready and Brody done away with," Frank said with a chuckle.

Braxton threw Thomas a sharp look, "The boy needs to learn to watch his mouth."

Thomas could hear the threat in his voice. Thomas wasn't afraid of Braxton but he was afraid of having all the ranch hands gun for him. He knew Braxton had to have something to do with Elizabeth and Brody being gone but he also knew that as the youngest here, the other hands would not be loyal to him. They'd be loyal to Braxton.

"Yes sir," Thomas replied, though the lack of respect was plain in his voice. Braxton went about pulling off his vest and chaps and Thomas's eyes were drawn to the gun on the table. He recognized the .44 Caliber army revolver with the rebel flag on the handle. That was Brody's gun.

How in the hell did Braxton end up with Brody's gun? Brody wouldn't give up his gun unless..... Thomas's eyes narrowed. Braxton must have killed Brody and if Brody was dead then that met that Elizabeth might just be dead too. It all made sense now. Braxton must be the man that would get the ranch if Mr. McCready died before Elizabeth married.

Thomas stood suddenly and strode out of the bunkhouse. He walked back behind the main house and saw a figure standing next to the old oak tree. Judging by the shape and size of the body, he knew he was Anita. He was about to say hello when he heard footsteps coming behind him and quickly ducked behind the shed.