Chapter Fourteen

Chapter Fourteen

"I say we stay here for the day and rest," Elizabeth said as she pressed her lips against Brody's neck and felt his naked body tremble just a little against her own.

"I say that sounds good since some little lady had me up half the night," he agreed.

Elizabeth smiled against his skin, "I didn't hear you complaining."

"No ma'am. A man would have to be a fool to complain about something like that."

Elizabeth smiled and looked around them at the peaceful morning scenery. The sun was already shining hotly and she knew it was going to be even hotter today than it had been yesterday.

"I think we should at least put our britches on. I'd hate to have someone ride in and be caught with my pants down," Brody noted. Elizabeth nodded in agreement and they both stood and began to pull on their clothes. She saw Brody wince as he pulled on his shirt and she grabbed the bandana and pulled it off his arm before he had the chance to pull away.

"Oh my God!" she exclaimed when she saw the burnt and charred skin.

"Damn you, woman, give me that back." he grumbled as he reached for the bandana.

"No," she put her hands on her hips and glared at him. "What the hell did you do to your arm?"

"Don't tell me you've never heard of burning a wound closed to prevent infection," he replied as he buttoned his shirt.

Elizabeth realized that it looked like he'd branded himself with his knife blade. The scar was going to be bad but somehow it just added to his rugged handsomeness.

"Of course I've heard of it. I've even done it before... to cattle! Not to a man! And I've certainly never seen a man do that to himself!"

"I've seen men get their arms blown off and shove the stump into a hot cooking stove to sear it closed," Brody snapped.

Elizabeth felt vomit rise and swallowed it back down, "That's disgusting."

Brody shrugged, "That's life. Now I don't have to worry about infection and bleeding anymore."

"I thought it wasn't bleeding or infected. That's what you told me yesterday."

Brody shrugged, "I lied," he said as he built the fire up to reheat the rabbit meat.

"Brody Atkinson! You better not lie to me again. If this is gonna work out then you gotta tell me the truth!"

"If what's gonna work out?" Brody demanded, stepping closer to her. Elizabeth pointed back and forth between them, "This," she said and she felt her breath catch in her chest as he stepped closer still. His shirt was only half buttoned and the tan skin of his chest was gleaming in the sunshine, adding to his untamed look.

"So now you're telling me what has to be done in order for me to be with you?" he asked and Elizabeth couldn't tell if he was really angry or just teasing her.

She squared her shoulders and stuck out her chin, "Yes."

Brody smiled suddenly and his green eyes lit with amusement, "Yes ma'am. You are the boss after all." He kissed her softly, "Now let's eat because I'm gonna need my energy if I'm gonna be here with you all day." He reached around and gave her butt a squeeze causing her to squeal with surprise and slap his arm. "Just so you know, I would have kicked any other man in the family jewels for that!" she said and he laughed as he turned and checked on the meat.