Chapter 4 (Part 3)

Sorry if this part seems a little disjointed, if you've been following DYRMN since I started you know it's been a while since I wrote anything for this story.

Thanks for your patience,

BianceNeve.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"You're probably lucky you didn't make it."

Kota's voice shocked me into looking up from where I had been intensely studying the creases on my thumb, trying to hide my open book of a face where they couldn't look straight through me.

"If he was determined, he could have followed you in and if no one else was around..."

I blushed at what he was implying before looking back down to my thumb creases, part of the color coming from my embarrassment that they all thought I was so weak.

"Next time just walk into the guy's bathroom if we're in there."

I think my face must have turned around fifteen shaded brighter from the heat I could feel in my cheeks but Victor's next statement made my cheeks turn red for another reason.

"No next time, we're not going to leave her by herself long enough to let 'Gregs' be a problem."

I wanted to cut in, but I was so angry I knew I would say something stupid. They all think I'm completely stupid, I know that was my goal, but the fact they believed it so easily enraged me.

I forced myself to look out the window and take deep breaths, letting the anger seep out of me as trees and buildings whizzed past.

The car was silent as we continued to drive. Eventually I forced myself to turn back around to look at the others, Victor was still slightly red in the cheeks, his knuckles were white as he seemed determined to keep his gaze focused on the road. Kota seemed distracted as he kept looking from his phone to the view out the window.

Silas was silent and unmoving, his glare focused out the window. His jaw was set, his teeth clicking as he ground the together. His knuckled were white, his grip strangling the music book in the bag between us.

I slowly moved my hand over, almost afraid of how he would react, and placed it on top of his clenched hands.

His reaction was quick and frightening as he whipped his head around and focused his glare onto my face. Slowly he blinked before looking down at my hand and he loosened his grip.

I took hold of the bags handles and pulled it slightly away from him; I smoothed out the crumpled edges of the bag and peeked at the sheets inside.

Silas was still watching my face as I smiled softly.

'Winter' by Vivaldi.

***

Later, after eating half an apple, I am lying in bed thinking about my day. Marie and my mother never did find out I'd ditched for the day, my father's car was still missing.

All in all, it had been a good enough trip, even though the tension in the car on the way back from the mall had been thick enough to make me edgy. None of them had spoken the entire time, not even once Victor dropped me off in front of my house before continuing to drive and park in Kota's driveway.

I must have made a pretty bad impression for them to want to ditch me that quickly, but I shook it off and went inside to check on my mother before slipping out again.

By the time I got back home Victor's car had disappeared.

Slipping off my bed to make my way to the window, the worn, mauve carpet soft under my bare feet. I'd made this same trip a million times just trying to catch a glimpse of one of them. Silas could still be there, Kota had to still be there, it wasn't completely weird was it?