Day 10: Equal

Cover ^^^^ made by Deliquio

September 15

The corners of his eyes formed wrinkles at the ends as he laughed at something I said. I had forgotten what I had said by the crinkles around his mouth. I swear that I have never seen this look on his face, ever since I had started to visit him. The look on his face, was one I was familiar with, but the sparkle in his eyes, I was not.

"Can I get you guys another thing else this evening?" The waitress came up to us, and poured me some more root beer. God, I love root beer, it is my favourite soft drink. We both shook our heads and laugh at our synchronization. I missed this. She smiled and walked away, shaking her butt a little side to side. Being the man I know, he could not but help lean over and stare at her as was walking away from us.

Butt head.

I smiled at my own little joke inside my head. I'm fourteen and I still have not found a way to say cuss words in my head. I just make insults at people. Maybe as I get older I will start to use those words. And not just in my head too.

"What are you smiling at?" he asked me as he used his fork to dip his piece of his french toast into his syrup. He opened his mouth and took the toast off his fork and started to chew. "So, how is your mom?" I shrugged my shoulders, hoping that he would drop the subject. He knew that I did not like to talk about her while we were together. "Okay then," he set down his fork on his plate, "Have you started to see anybody?"

I shook my head, but I could feel myself start to blush. I am in trouble now. I did not want to talk to him about this. Not in IHOP. "It's nothing. How are you doing? Anyone new?" I instantly started to regret my words. I did not want to talk to him about his love life. Or anything that involved his new life. Without me.

He straightened up his back, a sign that he was uncomfortable.

"Let's change the subject," I swallowed. "When are we going to meet up again?" I needed to know. I missed him too much. He mouthed the words soon and I smiled.

The waitress came back around and dropped off the check. As she left, he did the exact same thing he did a few minutes ago. He stared at her ass. Oh, I said a cuss word. I laughed at myself, then he noticed also.

The wrinkles by his eyes showed again. And the spark was there also. What is it? I tried to figure it out.

It looked like his eyes were smiling, something that I have never seen before. It is not easy to observe something that I have never seen. I went through all the possible answers: not hatred, not sadness, and not loneliness. Think, Logan, think.

When it came to me, the look must only be... love. No. Just no.

I am too young to know what love thinks like people's eyes.

Too young.

_______________________________________________________________

The light coming through the window, started to wake me up from my dream. It was not a dream, it was a memory. I took a deep breath. A memory that I did not want to remember.

Sometimes there are just things that should be kept hidden. Unknown to us. Even if it already happened.

I closed my eyes again and focused on trying to fall back asleep.

"I would not do that if I were you," a voice said from the other side of the room. I opened up my one of eyes to see Max, on his laptop, working on his lap top. He glanced over at me and chuckled at my response. "It is twelve o'clock in the afternoon, and we have not even started your homework that is due tomorrow."