Day 108: Frozen

Picture of Autumn ^^^ or -->> depending on what you are reading on.

 Over 700 words expected

 UNEDITED

December 22, Sunday

"So," I bit my bottom lip into my mouth, "you have a daughter."

Max had come down to the basement around midnight to have the conversation that I have been wanted to have since Autumn said daddy. Both of his parents retired to their bedroom before the little girl went to her bed, sleeping in Max's old bed. His parents allowed her to stay up a little while longer to spend time with Max.

He nodded.

"Where's her mother?" I asked him.

"She left me alone to take of Autumn," his gaze fell to ground. "Her name is Piper, like my mom said at dinner. That is why I took a year off of school before going to Oxford. I was here raising Autumn, with my parents help."

"And Wilma?"

Max's eyes moved to mine. "How do you know about Wilma?"

It was mine turn to turn way. "The way she was looking at you at breakfast, I kind of knew that she knew something that we did not."

"She is Piper's grandmother, making her Autumn's great-grandmother," he stood up from the couch he was sitting on and sat down next to me on the bed. "And Stacy is Autumn's aunt. My sister. Any more questions?"

I shrugged my shoulders and looked up at Max. The only light in the room was a lamp in the corner, shone light on only one side of our faces, eliminating it. His brown eyes were focuses on the couch on the other side of the room. "How old is she?"

"She turned two, three months ago."

That was it, I had nothing else to ask. Things had grown awkward once the girl ran in and said the word Daddy, and went straight to Max. I just needed to know the basics. He was about seventeen when Piper was pregnant. "Who named her?"

Max sighed and answered, "Piper's favourite season was always fall and before her water broke she told me that she wanted the baby's name to be Autumn, it would work if it was a boy or girl."

"She didn't know it's gender?"

He shook his head, "We both wanted it to be a surprise about it's gender." He ran a hand through his hair, "She disappeared after she was cleaned up, she didn't want to hold the baby until both her and Autumn were clean. Piper did not want me in the room, just her mother, and they were planning on leaving me with Autumn." He took a deep breath, "I'm sorry." He tilted his head upwards, looking me in the eye. "Will you at least get to know Autumn?"