Chapter 8

Chapter 8

note: this takes place directly after last chapter! 8) SAME DAY

warning: recreational drug use aka smoking weed. the dankest

1/4 EDIT: i took out the hallway bit bc it has no place here

Waking up in the hallway is never fun. Why would it be?

oOo

It's late. He can tell because the loud, electrical hums of Kong have grown quiet and the distant moans in the landfill are getting progressively closer. Every shadow in sight has taken on a more sinister quality, turning ink black and stretching impossibly far against the pavement.

It had taken him longer than he'd ever care to admit to find his way back to the carpark, despite living there for well over a year. This fact alone should be enough to embarrass him, but he's too tired and grumpy to expend that kind of energy.

He safely assumes that he can make a break for his Winnebago without running into anyone. And, to be fair, he should be able to do that at this hour. Only a few more steps need to be taken, and then he's free to sleep to his heart's content.

However, his hopes are dashed the moment he reaches for the door handle.

"Muds!"

Oh, fuck me.

"Hey! Hey, over here, Murdoc!"

Murdoc feels his shoulders tense up at the sound of 2D's voice, but he finds himself turning around anyway. 2D sends him one of his award winning smiles, waving at him frantically and bouncing on his heels. If Murdoc weren't so pissed off right now, he'd probably smile back.

"What d'you want?" he snaps, tensing even more when he notices the other man walking in his direction.

"I haven't seen you in a few hours." 2D says by way of explanation, pausing when he finally reaches Murdoc. "Where'd you go? I was lookin' all over for you!"

Murdoc, growing uncomfortable with the other's close proximity, backs away to provide some personal space. "The fuck do you care? Weren't you busy lofting about with that blonde strumpet, dent face?"

2D blinks, confused by the other's harsh tone. "...Yeah, but she's gone now."

Murdoc stares vacantly ahead, frowning.

"...Gone." he repeats slowly.

2D nods.

"Yeah, she left a few hours ago. Had stuff to do." he tilts his head to the side in thought. "Nice girl, she was."

Murdoc narrows his eyes sharply, snarling.

"Well that's bloody fantastic, mate. Good on you, now fuck off." He turns quickly and tries to pry open his door but before he can even attempt to do that there's a hand on his arm.

He can't bring himself to part from its grasp.

"Wait, Murdoc!" 2D says quickly, squeezing the bassist's arm just a bit tighter before letting go. "I kinda, sorta wanted to hang out with you, if that's alright?"

Murdoc looks over his shoulder, purses his lips in thought and sighs through his nose.

"Fine."

2D looks absolutely delighted and lets out a little cheer, nudging Murdoc into the Winnebago enthusiastically. Murdoc stumbles up the steps a bit, growling at 2D to knock it off and the moment he's inside he settles himself into his chair. 2D sits on an upside-down bucket, leaning forward on his knees in anticipation.

"So!" the says happily, staring at Murdoc with a manic grin. "What d'ya wanna do?"

"Don't ask me, dullard, you're the one who invited yourself in."

2D pouts, leaning back with a thoughtful expression. Then his face lights up, eyes gleaming.

"Well I mean, we can always smoke or somethin'." he suggests. He pulls out a small plastic baggie from the confines of his pants pocket, tossing it over to the bassist. "Just got it- I heard its supposed to be really good stuff."

Murdoc examines the bag critically and ponders for a moment. The pros to this setup are: smoking with 2D, watching 2D get high, and pushing 2D around without the singer really putting up a fight. The cons? He might lose himself and do something either really weird or really embarrassing.

It isn't really up for debate.

Deciding that the pros far outweighed the cons, Murdoc nods in affirmation and leads 2D to his bedroom. He pulls out all the necessary equipment and prepares the first hit, frowning in his concentration.

2D sits on his knees across from him, leaning forward eagerly and Murdoc feels himself start to perspire under his unyielding gaze.

"Stop starin' at me." he mumbles, lifting the bowl to his mouth. He lights the end, holds his breath and exhales a steady plume of smoke through his parted lips. He wordlessly hands the bowl to 2D, grimacing.

"I wasn't starin', I was observin'." 2D says with a laugh. "There's a difference."

He takes the bowl into his hands, lighting his own hit and grins as the smoke exits his mouth through the gap in his teeth. Murdoc frowns as the bowl is passed back to him.

"Well I ain't a fuckin' gorilla so stop."

2D snorts.

"Aren't you, though?"

Murdoc's mouth quirks a bit at the corners, but opts to ignore the question.

As time passes, Murdoc finds himself moving closer to the other as he talks of Earth, the stars, and what it truly means to be alive. 2D's voice carries, but it's never obtrusive-- even in this quiet, darkened space. It's soft and warm, and before long Murdoc begins to feel the urge to lean his head against 2D's shoulder, because he's just that tired and just that lonely.

And in his current state of mind, he doesn't have a social-filter so he sort of just does it. It gives the other pause, cutting him off mid-sentence.

"..What's up, Muds?"

Murdoc shrugs, closing his eyes tiredly.

"None of your damn business, that's what." he mumbles, wrapping himself around 2D's arm. He feels 2D struggle in his hold but he doesn't let go.

"Uh...Muds?" 2D asks, tugging his arm out from Murdoc's grasp. "What're you doin'?"

Murdoc shakes his head. "Nothin'."

"Nothin'?" 2D asks skeptically. "I dunno, Muds, it kinds seems like you're tryin' at somethin'."

Murdoc snorts and shoves the singer away.

"Yeah, obviously."

2D raises a brow. "Was...was that it?"

"Yep."

2D doesn't look convinced but he returns to his previous position, holding his breath in case Murdoc decided to ambush him.

The bassist scoots himself a bit closer to the singer despite 2D's obvious physical signs of discomfort. Knowing the kid, he'd probably tolerate it for the sake of 'getting closer' to his best friend.