Chapter 14

Chapter 14

oOo

In the restless nights of Kong, a different kind of moan can be heard coming from the landfill. Unsteady footsteps stagger in and out of the carpark, roaming around the halls and even though Murdoc is tough as nails, it still scares the shit out of him.

Lying on his bed, stiff as a board, he clutches the barrel of a gun to his chest in the hopes that he'll be able to ward off any and all zombies that may come into his room. His shoulders grow painfully stiff at the thought of being torn apart and eaten by walking corpses.

"Urghh..."

His breathing grows hard and haggard in his lungs. Soft footsteps can be heard just outside his window, warbling and fading behind broken glass and cloth curtains. His ears strain to hear them properly.

In a matter of seconds those soft footsteps begin to grow loud and frantic. They bound around and into the Winnebago, his front door slamming open with a sharp metallic clang!

Murdoc, caught off guard and completely unprepared, lets out a terrified yelp and throws the gun in his hand through the open doorway in a poorly planned attempt to save himself.

"AUGH! OW, FUCK!"

Murdoc freezes, recognizing the intruder's voice.

"2D? Holy shit, mate, is that you?"

He doesn't get an immediate answer. After a few seconds of stiff silence, 2D pokes his head in through the doorway, forehead sporting a large bruising bump. He steps forward slowly, gun in hand.

"What the bloody hell was that for?"

Murdoc feels his face heat up in embarrassment and he casts a glare. "I thought you were one of those damn zombies!"

"...And y'decided to throw the gun at me instead of shooting?" 2D asks in surprise, handing the gun back to Murdoc. "Thanks for not doing that, by the way."

Murdoc shoves the gun under his pillow quickly, covering his face with his free hand.

"Whatever. What the hell are you doin' out here?"

2D smiles apologetically. "Yeah, sorry. I was on my way back from the toilets and I noticed tha' you were bein' really quiet."

Murdoc sits up fully, feeling oddly defensive. He clutches at his sheets in an effort to steady himself. "And you decided to, what? Come into my space without askin' first?"

2D looks taken aback, eyes widening as he scrambles to get his words out. "N-no! I mean, uh, yes. ...But not-!Ugh-"

"-Okay, okay, it's fine, dullard." Murdoc says with a slight placating undertone, rolling his eyes. "What'dya want, anyway?"

2D settles down a bit and resumes his peaceful speech pattern, a relieved smile on his face. "...I jus' wanted t'see if you were doin' alright. ...Er...I know that nights like these can be sorta... hard."

The bassist stiffens, clenches his fists and glares openly. "I ain't scared."

The singer smiles innocently but it doesn't reach his eyes. "I never said that you were, Muds."

Fuck .

Murdoc scowls, unresponsive and 2D shifts his weight from foot to foot. He starts backing away from the other man, moving closer to the doorway with purpose.

The singer stares at the bassist, gathering his thoughts. "..Uh...Sorry..I didn' come out here t'poke fun at you, Murdoc." He says this very gently, ceasing his fidgety movements.