Chapter 2

Summary:

AU. Prince Zuko quits his hunt for Aang to look for his mother instead, but when reunion with Ursa doesn't go well, Zuko goes through a metamorphosis to find a new path in life. Meanwhile, Gaang are forced to realize world isn't black 'n white. Dragons, friendships, and major changes to plot.

()()()

2. Hidden Things

Pathetic, was the first word that came to mind as Zuko eyed his opponent. A village of frightened women and children was certainly not what he had expected to find.

What an odd protector for a powerful supernatural entity, Zuko thought. Though, perhaps the Spirit of the World required little help on that account.

Regardless, Zuko swore not to let his guard down. The Water Tribes were known for using sneak attacks, and the fact that he hadn't seen any warriors yet (the boy charging at him for the second time did not count) didn't mean there weren't any.

Zuko dodged the attack with practiced ease. He disarmed his face-painted attacker with his hands alone, and sent him flying to yet another pile of snow.

A great number of bloodthirsty warriors could lurk behind any one of these frozen structures.

Prince Zuko wasn't planning to take any unnecessary risks today. During the last three years, he had taken his crew to hell and back, but he hadn't lost a single man. Yet. Zuko didn't plan on starting this close to the end.

The Avatar is here. He is alive. He exists.

Things were really looking up for the banished prince, and the only thing standing between Zuko and a quick trip home was... a frightened mob of Water Tribe civilians. Hopefully.

"Where is he?" Zuko demanded. "Where is the Avatar?"

Frightened, hushed voices. Bewildered eyes. Unhelpful silence. This was going nowhere fast.

"I know you are hiding him. If you tell me where, I will leave your village alone and unharmed."

And, at the end of the day, we can all go home, Zuko mentally added.

More silence followed. Zuko sighed. Screw this.

It was time to put their mock innocence to a test. Zuko scanned the crowd for a suitable prey. Only one pair of eyes dared look back.

Gotcha.

The girl was young, probably a few years younger than Zuko himself. She had dark skin, long black hair on a braid, and blue eyes filled with fear, accusation and hatred.

This won't be pleasant.

"You", Zuko said, and pointed at the girl. "Tell me what you know of the Avatar."

First Zuko thought that the girl was too afraid to answer, but was soon proven wrong.

"The Avatar is the protector and savior of the world, and when he returns, you and your evil nation will pay for what you have done."

What exactly did she expect to gain by saying that?Zuko pondered. The girl was simultaneously lying to his face and taking the moral high ground.

Zuko sighed. Typical Water Tribe.

Zuko took a deep breath before continuing. He would propose the girl a deal. He had made different variations of the same deal before, however almost always under a disguise, and never in the presence of his crew.

Zuko hadn't told his crew about his 'gift' for the fear of his Father (or anyone else, for that matter) learning of it, but today he would take his chances. This matter was too important for playing it safe.