Chapter 19

A/N

Sorry it took me this long to update. I was abroad for a while, which is also the reason why I haven't replied to anyone's reviews or PMs, but I have read them and appreciate the feedback.

I had to update this twice because there was something wrong with the first update (I couldn't see it).

()()()

19. Shameless Competition

"And?" Uncle hurried Zuko to go on. This type of behavior was very unlike of the old man.

"And nothing. That's the end of the story", Zuko shrugged his shoulders to emphasize how there really was nothing to it. His nonchalant attitude would have been passable if it weren't for the obvious irritation in his voice.

So maybe I'm not exactly impartial to what's going on. There's still nothing I can do about it. Nothing short of treason, anyway.

Zuko wanted badly to go out there and do something about the whole thing, and he had to keep reminding himself that if capturing the Avatar was more important than going home, he shouldn't do anything. His mind told him to stay, while his heart told him to go.

Uncle looked astonished. After a moment the old man managed to gather his posture. He pinched the bridge of his nose, which was again a very unusual gesture for his usually patient uncle.

"Let's see if I got this right", Iroh finally spoke, "When you told me earlier tonight that you were going on a scouting trip to find leads on the Avatar, you actually meant you were planning to break into one of the Fire Nation's best secured strongholds in Earth Kingdom to spy on Zhao."

Uncle lifted his eyes to meet Zuko's. The teenager nodded.

A ship under Zhao's command had forced them off their course, and Zuko had felt like returning the favor, so to speak, by eavesdropping on Zhao's private conversations.

"And while there", Uncle went on, "You learned that not only has Commander Zhao been promoted to the rank of an Admiral but that he intends to use the Yu Yan archers to capture the Avatar."

Zuko rolled his eyes. Was Uncle going to go through every word he'd just told him? Zuko was already starting to regret his promise to let Iroh know when he was going somewhere even if he'd only be gone a few hours.

Zuko sighed. He tried to be patient. Uncle just worried and didn't want Zuko to disappear on him. Again. Zuko could hardly blame him for that.

"Yes or no?"

"Yes."

"Okay", Uncle sighed, "I have to admit the story so far doesn't surprise me at all. It sounds exactly like something my foolhardy nephew might do. But here's the part that I don't understand: after learning all this you intend to do nothing about it?"

Zuko closed his eyes and grimaced before answering: "...Yes."

"Zuko, if you for one moment think that the Admiral wants to capture the Avatar for any other reason than self gain then I have to inform you that you're wrong. That man cares nothing for what's in the best interest of the Fire Nation."

"Yeah, I know", Zuko had been sitting on his mattress, leaning against the far wall of his room, but now he leaned forward, "Even if Zhao's motives are less than noble doesn't mean his deed wouldn't be necessary. The Avatar is dangerous and for the safety of everyone in our nation he needs to be stopped. If Zhao finally stands a change of pulling it off, who am I to stand in his way?"

Zuko looked away and tried to calm himself. He didn't want to take his anger and frustrations out on Iroh. It wasn't Uncle's fault the situation sucked.