Chapter 35

A/N

So, another chapter! Sorry about the long waits. I have no idea where the time has gone. I will try to update faster. Thank you to all my new and old readers for your encouraging feedback, and for your patience. Your reviews make my day!

()()()

35. Living in Different Worlds

Zuko scrambled to his feet and tried to muster some form of defensive kata, or even just dodge the hit, but there wasn't enough time. The water crashed over him. When Zuko regained his sense of direction, he found himself yet again sprawled on the ground, just at the opposite side of the clearing.

"Are you sure you want a rematch?" Katara quipped, "I should warn you: I am no longer that scared little girl you remember. I can fend for myself."

To emphasize her words, Katara gathered another impressive stream of water, and hurled it at Zuko with all her might.

Yeah. I know, Zuko thought, and rolled to the side. Katara was too fast and there was too much water; Zuko did not get entirely out of the way, and lost his footing again.

"I am not going to let you hurt Aang," Katara declared.

"Great, since I am not here to hurt Aang," Zuko shot back.

Katara was strong. Zuko wasn't sure whether it was because of the spiritual power of the Oasis, the lunar advantage, or her protective love over the Avatar, but she was really on fire tonight.

Still, for some reason, Katara took a pause in her attacks. Zuko had time to get up on his feet and into a bending stance.

Zuko thought about taking out his Dao swords. He had left the rope and most of his other belongings in Kulo's lair before sneaking out to his meeting with Nakki, but Zuko had not to dared to leave such a recognizable, obviously Fire Nation weapon laying around. Good thinking, considering that the very next morning Sokka had gone by Kulo's igloo while looking for him.

Even if the kid would not recognize the swords as Fire Nation weapons, he would still know they were not from the Water Tribe, and that could raise awkward questions.

Zuko was a good sword fighter, but without an element of surprise on his side, he would probably still need his bending to take down Katara. Zuko did not have more time to think about what to do, so he decided to take Uncle's advice, and rely on his basics. No swords, then.

Zuko started with a simple fire jab, but the small flame sizzled away before it even reached Katara. Zuko's face fell. Katara giggled.

The Prince felt his cheeks get color. He chose to think it was just the frustration coursing through his veins.

You have got to be kidding me. Destiny couldn't find a more inconvenient moment for a bending breakdown?

Zuko could still try to use his swords or one of his hidden knives, but he seriously doubted they would be enough to catch Katara by surprise. Besides, Zuko was not here to defeat Katara. He was here to stop Aang from making a mistake, and surely tha was something Katara wanted, too. He just needed to convince her to trust him.

The Prince decided to try a different approach, one he virtually never even contemplated; Zuko lifted both of his hands up in surrender.

"You got me", the Prince said, albeit through gritted teeth.

Katara looked dubious. "What do you think you are doing?"

"What does it look like? I am admitting defeat. You are right. You got me beat here."

Dragon At Heartजहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें