Book 3 Part 7

A Man's Blind Spot

BY SYDNEY LANDER

The story of creation as told in the Bible indicates that God made man before he did woman. His intent was for man to rule over the Garden of Eden, naming the animals and taking care of the garden. However, God soon decided that man shouldn't be alone and created a helpmate for him.

Having lived with a man as his helpmate for nigh on eight years now, I can imagine what transpired in the garden. I'm sure the first day went something like this.

God made Adam and noted his creation was good. He instructed Adam on his duties as keeper of the garden and namer of the animals. Then He left Adam alone to carry out his assigned responsibilities while he checked on the rest of creation.

On returning to the garden, God decided to look in on Adam. He found Adam lounging in the shade of a tree.

"How's the naming going, Adam?" God asked.

"Well," Adam replied, "I named a few things. That little four-legged thing over there with the stubby nose and a squiggly tail, I called a cow, or was it a rhino; no, I think it was a pig. Yeah, that's it, a pig."

"I see," God said. "And what about the little furry one with the bushy tail that plays in the branches of the trees? What did you call it?"

Looking a little perplexed, Adam replied, "I'm not sure which one you're talking about, God. I don't think I saw any bushy-tailed creature."

With infinite patience, God replied, "See that little animal over there?"

As God pointed the animal started and darted up a tree.

"Oh," Adam said, "I didn't even see him!"

"If he'd been a snake, he'd've bit you," God said in exasperation.

"A snake?" Adam questioned. "Which one's a snake? How'd you know I was going to name one a snake anyway?"

"I'm sure you'll figure out which animal to call a snake," God replied. "I was just hearing your thoughts, sorry. I didn't mean to jump ahead of you. I did give you the job, after all." Then skipping to another topic, God continued, "By the way, how are you coming with the plants? Have you figured out what you need to do to take care of them?"

"Well, I haven't really had much luck with the growing things." Pointing to a leafy plant, he said, "I tried eating that one – I believe it's a mustard. It kind of stuck to my tongue, and it was really tart."

"Did you try putting it in the warm water from the hot springs?" God asked. "Heating some plants makes them taste less better."

"Hey, that's a good idea," Adam said. "I didn't even think of that. If I drank some water, would it get that nasty taste out of my mouth?"

"I'm sure it would," God said. "Well, Adam, you'd better get up from under that tree and start naming. You've got a lot left to do."

"Yeah," Adam said. "I don't suppose you want to stick around and bring me the animals one by one. Things would go a lot faster if I had someone to help – a sort of go-for, you know."

God helped Adam for a while and then put him to sleep. He removed a rib from his side and created him a helpmate. After all, God couldn't stick around all day keeping Adam company. He couldn't take the time to point out things that were right in front of his face. And he certainly didn't have the time to remind Adam what names he'd given the animals.