Book 5 Part 7

When I hung up, I turned back to David.

"You're right. We need to plan. Faith is going to spend the night at Stephanie's. As much as I want to crawl into a hole and curl up and hibernate, I can't. I think we need to start with a prayer, and I want you to lead."

"God won't listen to me," David's voice broke as he said the words.

"Yes, He will. He's the God of second and third chances, remember. You've preached that often enough."

David's shoulders were slumped. He shook his head.

"You asked Him to get you out of the mess you got yourself into," I said. "You tell me you've repented. If that's true, He's offered forgiveness. You have to accept it, David. I need you. Your children need you. Only God can give you the strength to be there for us."

He got down on his knees. I knelt beside him.

"God be merciful to me, a sinner," he prayed. "Help me to be there for my family. I got them into this fix. Give me the strength to lead them through the hell I've created."

"Jesus," I said. "You are love. On the cross you prayed for those who betrayed You, 'Forgive them for they know not what they do.' I ask You to forgive Anya and David. Somehow they were blinded to what they were doing. I can't understand it, God. I probably never will unless I find myself in their shoes. So, I pray, God, that I will never understand. Fill me with your compassion. Let all of us lean on You instead of on our own understanding."

David was weeping, but it was no longer the wracking sobs of remorse. They were the quite tears of cleansing.

When we got up from our knees, he picked up his Bible. He turned to Luke 22. He began to read aloud at verse 31: "Simon, Simon, Satan has asked to sift you as wheat. But I have prayed for you, Simon, that your faith may not fail. And when you have turned back, strengthen your brothers."

"I think I've been sifted," David said.

"Then it's time to strengthen the brothers," I said, "starting at home."

"And then the college," David added. "I don't know if I'm up to it, Syd."

"You're not. God is."

"Do you think the students know?" he asked.

David had been a favorite at the college. The students were drawn to his infectious humor, and they loved his creative classes.

"Steph knew," I said. "A student reported it to the President. I assume that means the whole student body has at least heard rumors."

"They need to hear it from me," David said. "I need to ask their forgiveness and warn them about letting their guard down."

"You can ask the President to let you speak at chapel," I said.

"What are we going to do if they fire me, Syd?"

"I don't know, David. Let's take it one day at a time."

When the boys came back, they went to the basement. I followed them to their underground lair.

"Look," I told them. "I know this is a shock, but we will get through this."

"How can you be so sure?" Zach asked. "Don't you want to cut off his balls or something?"

"Sometimes. I always told David that if he ever cheated on me, our marriage was over."

"So why are you telling us we'll get through this? Are you going to leave him?" Josh asked.