Book 5 Part 5

The doorbell pealed. While Faith hurried to the door, she sent a prayer heavenward, asking for peace and wisdom.

Aaron was alone.

"Where are the kids?" Faith peered beyond him.

"I gave them the address," he said. "I came a few minutes early. I thought we could pray."

"Good idea." Faith tried on her smile.

Aaron's eyebrows drew together.

"What's the matter, Faith?"

She laughed sharply.

"So much for pasted on smiles. I've been reading Mama's journal. I've come across some disturbing stuff, but we can talk about that later. I think that prayer idea is the best suggestion you've made in a while."

Aaron reached out and took both of her hands in his. He bowed his head.

"Father," he said. "Grant us your peace. Minimize our cares and help us to focus on Jacob and Teresa. Share Your wisdom with the four of us. You are the Wonderful Counselor, but You have chosen us to do Your work today. Speak through us. Let Your love flow freely. Amen."

As Faith echoed his Amen, Aaron pulled her into his arms. He held her against his chest, laid his cheek on her hair, and softly massaged her back. She felt safe. The peace he had prayed for settled in her heart and mind.

"Thank you, God," she whispered.

Jacob and Teresa arrived. Her eyes looked less haunted. The frown lines on his face had eased. When Faith hugged Teresa in welcome, her mouth turned up slightly, and she cut her eyes at Faith's face.

"Thanks for helping us," she said. "Just knowing we're not alone has made a huge difference."

"And having a course of action helped too," Jacob added.

He opened a folder he was carrying. "There are two homes for unwed mothers in Louisiana, a Baptist home in Tallulah and one run by Mercy Ministries in Monroe. Going to either one would mean that Teresa would have to go away for awhile, change schools and all that."

"I don't really want to leave, except to get away from my Dad," Teresa said. "But we looked at the cost of apartments. There's no way we could afford one without both of us dropping out of school and working."

"Well, we don't know yet that your father is going to react adversely," Aaron said. "Let's try to deal with facts, not assumptions."

Teresa sighed. "If you knew my Dad, you'd know it's a fact, but I'll try to keep from believing that."

"I talked to my lawyer friend," Faith said. "He knows a couple who are in an open adoption. He's going to try to set up a meeting so you guys can talk to them. I also got some other information. When it's a private adoption, the adoptive parents usually pay the medical expenses of the birth mother. Sometimes they help with living expenses, too. The only catch is that if she changes her mind, she has to pay it all back."

"Is that legal?" Jacob asked. "Isn't that considered buying a baby?"

"No. It's only illegal if they pay the birth mother a lump sum for her baby. Paying her medical and living expenses is legal because it's in their best interest for her to be healthy and not have any worries while she's pregnant. Stress in a woman's life can affect the fetus."

"I checked into scholarships and childcare for women with a baby," Aaron said. "You were partially right, Teresa. There are more services available to single mothers than to married ones, but there are some possibilities for married women who live below the poverty line."