Book 4 Part 8

While I felt assured that David could help me learn to give an inspirational address, his initial advice notwithstanding, my ability to give a speech was not my biggest concern.

"You realize that if I agree to speak, it will mean traveling," I said. "Who would take care of the boys?"

"You don't think I know how to parent?"

"Of course you do, but you have to teach."

"I'm sure I can find a sitter for the hour or so between the time school gets out and I get home. Tell them yes, Sydney. We'll work it out."

And so I became an inspirational speaker. I told stories from my life and added the spiritual implication. After the first conference, other invitations came. I soon had more offers than I could handle. David and I agreed that I would accept only one opportunity a month, unless the offer was local and didn't require an overnight commitment. The days of despondency seemed only a dream. My life was full.

Despite the fact that I was enjoying my success as a speaker and writer, by December I found that I was tiring easily. I assumed that with the Christmas season underway, I was stretching myself too thin. David noticed my fatigue.

On Christmas morning, I found a new stocking hanging on the mantle. A beautiful, green-velvet stocking with my name embroidered on it hung next to the boys' stockings. When I reached inside, I took out a box of chocolate covered cherries, my favorite. Smiling, I opened the box to taste the delicious treat. Inside, lying on top of the brown paper covering the cherries was a card with the familiar rose in the middle and love in its roots. A more mature face stared back from the center of the rose. For some reason tears welled up in my eyes as I softly caressed the exquisitely drawn picture. As my fingers moved to open the card, I felt David's hand on mine. Looking up, I found my husband knelling on the floor in front of me.

I asked you to spend a lifetime, darling,
In times of good or ill.
You have kept your promise,
And are beside me still.
I asked you to spend a lifetime, darling,
Loving me faithful and true.
You loyally stood beside me,
When it meant biding friends adieu.
I asked you to spend a lifetime, darling,
And now it is fourteen years later.
Never could I have imagined
That our love could grow so much greater.

"I love you, Syd," he concluded. "Now open your card."

Inside I found the poem and a folded note. " In the summer, your morning attire is often blue. Search hard enough and you'll find another clue."

David put together a treasure hunt for me. In my summer bathrobe pocket, I found the second clue. At the end of the hunt, I found a brochure for a bed and breakfast in Alberta, Canada. Inside was a note. "My mother is coming to spend a week with the boys. You and I will drive to the bed and breakfast for a long overdue couple's retreat."

With a squeal of delight, I threw my arms around David's neck.

"You hide your romantic streak well," I said.

"I hide it from everyone but you," he answered.

He kissed me.

"I'm sorry if I take for granted everything you give up for me, Syd."

"You give as much as you take," I answered.

#

Faith took out the card that was tucked in the journal. The face that she remembered from her early childhood stared out from the front. She reread the lines her father had penned. Her parents' love had lasted long beyond the 14 years. It probably would still be flourishing if they hadn't both died.