Chapter 3

"All cats old enough to fight their own battles, gather here beneath the highledge," Eaglestar yowled, jumping up onto the ledge.

Cats began to gather around, occasionally casting glances at Shadekit.

Her fur was fluffed up, and no cat bothered to clean her before this important ceremony. She scanned the clearing and saw Pebbleclaw sit down, his eyes gave away a slight trace of pride. She looked around for her mother, and saw Silverflower forcing her in the clearing.

Eaglestar's amber eyes rested on Shadekit. "Shadekit, step forward," he summoned.

Shadekit obeyed, quivering with shock and excitement.

"Addertail, you are an experienced medicine cat, and I trust you to pass on all you know to Shadepaw."

Addertail padded over to Shadepaw. "I vow to teach my new apprentice all there is to know about being a medicine cat," She promised.

Shadepaw and Addertail touched noses, and the cats exploded into cheers.

"Shadepaw!"

"Shadepaw!"

"Shadepaw!"

Shadepaw saw Robinheart eyeing her with a cold stare. Shadepaw automatically knew she hadn't been cheering.

"Hey Shadepaw!" A familiar voice called.

Shadepaw spun around to see Dustpaw running towards her. 

"Congratulations!" He purred, his eyes shining.

Shadepaw relaxed as she realized somebody was proud. "Thanks!"

Shadepaw noticed that he was staring at Pebbleclaw and Robinheart. "I'm sorry they aren't proud," he whispered sympathetically. "I know you'll be a great medicine cat."

Shadepaw gave a weak smile. "Thanks, that helped," she said, touching her nose to his ear. "I've got to go before Addertail explodes," she purred, glancing over her shoulder at Addertail who was clawing impatiently at the ground. She padded over to Addertail.

"About time!" Addertail exclaimed, her fluffy white tail flicking. "Follow me."

Shadepaw followed Addertail into her den. She looked at the organized herbs as they padded into the storage place.

"Now," Addertail began, sweeping her tail across the floor. "Name the herbs you know.

Shadepaw inspected the plants. They all looked similar. She tried to remember when she went here as a kit. She saw tiny black seeds resting on a leaf. "Oooh!" she squeaked, her whiskers quivering with excitement. "Those are poppy seeds." Shadepaw pointed at the black seeds with a paw.

Addertail's face glowed with pride. "Correct!" Addertail fixed her eyes on Shadepaw again. "Do you remember what it's used for?" she asked.

Shadepaw made a face as she tried to remember. She stared at the poppy seeds, remembering going into the den, learning the basics of healing. She remembered the aroma of the medicine cat's den when she took her first step in. She also remembered being surprised when Addertail spooked her. A purr bubbled up in her throat. Then, she remembered. "Poppy seeds ease pain and..." She growled to herself as she tried to remember what the tiny black seeds did. "Oh, and help a cat sleep!"

Addertail purred with amusement. "Very good."

Pride filled Shadepaw, making her sit up straighter.

"But," the grey she-cat started.

Shadepaw sighed, her shoulders sagging.

"Poppy seeds also soothe shock and distress," Addertail informed. She licked a paw and dabbed her paw at the seeds. "You usually have to lick your paw to get the poppy seeds."