Chapter 8

"Flowersting's kitting!" A loud voiced yowled, waking Shadepaw. Her first instinct was to jump up and help, but then she realized she wasn't a medicine cat apprentice anymore. Shadepaw saw the outlines of Dustpaw, Emberpaw, and Harepaw stretching.

Shadepaw sighed and heaved herself out of her nest. She quickly slipped out of the den. The cats in the clearing were in a crowd around the nursery. Addertail was rushing back in forth from the medicine den and nursery.

Shadepaw just sulked in the shadows, trying not to be seen. The sound of pawsteps made her look up to see Dustpaw. Shadepaw met his gaze and then look back at the ground. She felt his pelt brush against her's as he sat down next to her.

"You don't have to hide," Dustpaw said quietly, breaking the silence.

Shadepaw sighed. "I just feel like a stranger," she admitted. "I-I don't even know who I am anymore," she wailed quietly, trying not to draw attention.

Dustpaw's nose touched her ear briefly, but then he drew it away. "You're Shadepaw, and you'll always be." He paused, then added, with humor in his eyes, "Well, until you get your warrior name."

Shadepaw didn't reply, she was too busy watching Robinheart and Softsong.

The tabby apprentice's eyes went serious again as he looked at her. "What is it?" he asked, trying to follow her gaze.

"Softsong and Robinheart are getting too close," she growled, unsheathing her claws and digging into the soft soil under her paws.

Dustpaw nudged her. "Let's go outside of camp, into the forest area," he told her, changing the subject, trying to lighten the mood.

Lifting herself up, she began to follow him out of camp. When they got out of the main part of camp, Dustpaw turned to her and asked, "Want to race to the river?" 

The challenge in his eyes made Shadepaw agree immediately. "Of course, but be prepared to lose!" Shadepaw had already dashed off, mid-sentence.

She heard Dustpaw complain behind her. She just let out a purr of amusement. The cold air streamed through her fur as her paws thumped against the ground. The hard rock beneath her paws turned to soft grass as they neared the river. She caught sight of the sparkling blue river. She came to a stop at the edge of the rushing water. She heard Dustpaw stop next to her, panting like a dog.

"Great StarClan, you're fast!" He purred. 

Suddenly, white speckles began to drift to the floor. Shadepaw watched as one fell on her nose, squealing when it touched. "It's cold!"

Dustpaw looked up in amazement. "This must be snow!" The snow stuck to the ground, creating small white patches on the ground.

Shadepaw shook her head, sending the snow flying onto the ground. "I'm freezing," she complained, pressing against Dustpaw, who purred in response. Shadepaw's eyes darkened. "We have to go back to camp," she hissed to Dustpaw, shaking off the snow on her pelt. "Now."

Dustpaw's eye widened, but Shadepaw dashed off, leaving Dustpaw. Her paws led her back to camp where she saw Lostkit and Frozenkit playing in the clearing. "Robinheart!" she called, her eyes narrow.

Robinheart appeared out of the warrior cats' den. "Wha-" Robinheart stopped when she saw her daughter. She stomped over to her, letting out a irritated growl. "If it's a fight you want, come at me."

Shadepaw fought the urge to shy away from her mother's scorching gaze.  "Why Softsong?" she managed to choke. "Please don't do this to me."

Robinheart's eyes burned with a ferocious fire. "Let me love who I want," she snapped. The words hung in the air until Robinheart spoke again. "After all, you are my daughter, so you need to respect my decisions," she sneered, lashing her tail. Lowering her head to Shadepaw's ear, she whispered, "Softsong can actually save cats without dying." Shadepaw watched, heart tearing as Robinheart padded over to Softsong, tail high.