Chapter 6

Shadepaw sorted the herbs that were on the floor. Lostkit and Frozenkit had stormed into the den, trying to steal herbs to eat, and they ended up leaving empty pawed with the herb storage place a mess. It's been two moons since Robinheart had started talking to Softsong, and all they had done was grow closer. 

A rustle came from the entrance. Shadepaw turned to see Addertail with lush catmint. 

Addertail set the precious catmint down near Shadepaw. "This could be the only catmint left," she said, worry overwhelming her voice.

Shadepaw breifly touched her tail to Addertail's shoulder. "Leaf-bare just started, if we're lucky, we could find more."

The medicine cat gave an uncertain grunt.

Shadepaw finished sorting the herbs and padded outside. She saw Pebbleclaw, Owlflight, and Rainflash talking, sharing a large rabbit. Not sure at first, she began to walk over to the group. When she got over, she asked, "Can I join?"

Owlflight and Rainflash nodded and made room, but Pebbleclaw was more hesitant. Finally, he gave up and let Shadepaw join.

Rainflash took a bite of the rabbit. "We were talking about the rogue prisoner," she mumbled, her mouthful.

Owlflight nodded. "He seems... well, a bit uneasy today." 

Shadepaw bit into the rabbit, delighted at the taste of it's warm blood.

Pebbleclaw was staring at the rogue through narrow eyes. "There's fear in his eyes," he growled, snorting with disgust. "It's like he thinks we're going to do something to him."

Shadepaw looked at Eclipse. Now that the others mentioned it, he didn't look angry or rude, there was pure fear in his eyes. She swallowed her mouthful of mouth. "Maybe he knows something we don't," she started, tilting her head thoughtfully. "I think he came here to start a fight, I don't think he was really trying to hunt."

Owlflight exchanged a glance with Rainflash. "That could be true," he said, flicking an ear.

Pebbleclaw looked at Shadepaw, a gleam of approval in his eyes. "He has to know something we don't know." He bent down and took a bite of the prey, chewing thoughtfully.

Rainflash stared at Eclipse. "What ever he knows, I don't like it," she mumbled uncomfortably. 

Shadepaw looked at the ground, trying to think. "We have to find out what it is, because it seems like it's going to happen soon," she paused, looking at the older cats. "Got any ideas?"

Owlflight shook his head. "No matter what we do to him, I don't think he'll tell us."

Pebbleclaw stood up, looking at the sky. "I got to go on a hunting patrol now," he told the small group. "Sorry."

Shadepaw watched as he bounded away. She looked at the remains of the rabbit, there was still a lot of meat left. She turned to Owlflight and Rainflash. "Want anything else?"

The young warriors shook their heads. "No thanks, maybe the kits are still hungry," Owlflight suggested, looking at the nursery. "Or Flowersting, she'll be kitting any day now."

Shadepaw nodded and grabbed the remains of the rabbit and carried them over to the nursery. When she looked inside, Flowersting was in the den, her stomach large and swollen. Shadepaw suppressed a shiver, she was glad she couldn't have kits. She padded in and dropped the rabbit at Flowersting's paws. "You can have this," she mewed.

Flowersting looked up at her, her eyes brimming with gratitude. "Thank you, Shadepaw!" She took a small bite of what was left of the rabbit. "Rabbit is my absolute favorite."